Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 07-28-2007, 06:15 AM

Default calling preflop theory.......aka i\'m a donkey with questions

why do people just flat call with pocket pairs and suited connectors etc? (22-77 for argument's sake) very rarely will
you be getting the correct implied odds to call for set value as most villains aren't stacking off a large enough percentage of time with their range when you hit a set.

given that there are many boards you can float or raise, i seriously doubt that most players are doing it with the correct frequency to make their preflop call profitable.

calling can also get you squeezed, which will kill your odds and turn your hand into trash.

3betting with these small pairs and suited whatevers (not all the time obv) seems like the best route for a few reasons, sometimes you hit your set and flat out win, sometimes you win with your 3bet, sometimes you win with your cbet.

3betting all of the time with these type of hands cannot be profitable either. so i guess mixing it up (NOT mixing it up just for the sake of mixing it up mind you) to add a level of deceit (especially if you flat with AA/KK or something) is sexy. im rambling now.

obviously the latter has more variance, but i think yields higher returns.

so basically, why would you ever just flat preflop ?
Old 07-28-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Re: calling preflop theory.......aka i\'m a donkey with questions

well if you have a decent read on a player then you know how to extract the most when you hit a set, when to turn your hand into a bluff and raise somewhere, or when to bet when he checks to you.

it's dumb to 3bet a tight raiser so call and try to hit in some cases. if he's aggro pf three bet for value in position. if you're coming into the pot raise play poker.

i don't get what you're advocating for, mixing up your play? yeah do it.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:01 AM

i just finished watching jman's video on cardrunners, and he said he never/rarely 3bets with PP's (22-77ish). i think he's giving up lots of value or maybe theres something i'm missing.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just finished watching jman's video on cardrunners, and he said he never/rarely 3bets with PP's (22-77ish). i think he's giving up lots of value or maybe theres something i'm missing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly does 3-betting the small pairs accomplish that you think he's missing value with them?

3-bet = Win small pot preflop, bloat the pot with a mid PP and make it harder to play on the flop. Sometimes win a medium sized pot postflop... sometimes lose it.

Flat-call = Keep pot small, lose small pots when you miss and extract maximum value from tight opponents who can't laydown top pair/overpair type hands when you hit a set. Leaves yourself room to make a move on the flop and try to steal the pot from more passive opponents without having to get all the chips in.

A lot depends on your opponents but I agree with Phil that in most cases you shouldn't be 3-betting with 22-77.