Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Due for a content thread i guess? (blindaments)

Not paying much attention to my image as I'm posting nc & sports posts but I'm up a couple hundy so I imagine it's ok. Villian is a tight tag like 18/15 100 hands; I think he loosens up in blind battles but it hasn't been folded around a ton. I feel like anything peels the flop but at the same time does that means he folds much on the turn?

Full Tilt 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero
Old 06-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Due for a content thread i guess? (blindaments)

if he isn't totally showdown bound with ace high I would bet the turn and river UI. if we check behind we give up on winning the pot from better high card hands KT KQ A2 A3 A4 etc which is a large part of his range.

with the double gutter and pair outs our turn bet doesn't cost us much if he calls and it lets us steal the pot from those hands I mentioned on the river.

edit:
what I'm getting at is that the turn bet may be slightly -ev in itself but it sets us up for a massively +ev bluff on the river
Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 PM

If the board is really dry and I picked up a gutter, I will often check, especially since I often have 6 outs.

I think I would play it the same here. While the board isn't necessarily super dry, there are only a couple of draws that might be calling that you are still ahead of. Stuff like 67, 78 just hit a pair, you are behind KQ, KT, and any ace he might call down with. Also, some of the draws you are ahead of like QT likely would play the flop a bit faster, especially on a dry board.

I don't like getting c/red on this type of turn when I will often have 6 outs and need to call the turn c/r. I might be giving up the pot occasionally to a bluff by a worse hand on the river, but not often enough to make up for what I gain with the free card.

Edit: I read the turn as a gutter rather than double gutter. I might need to rethink the turn...
Old 06-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Turn is a pretty straightforward bet/call IMO.

Edit: I usually just call preflop, is this a standard three-bet or just a mixing it up play? I fear I may not be three-betting from the BB in blind battle situations.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he isn't totally showdown bound with ace high I would bet the turn and river UI. if we check behind we give up on winning the pot from better high card hands KT KQ A2 A3 A4 etc which is a large part of his range.

with the double gutter and pair outs our turn bet doesn't cost us much if he calls and it lets us steal the pot from those hands I mentioned on the river.

edit:
what I'm getting at is that the turn bet may be slightly -ev in itself but it sets us up for a massively +ev bluff on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the type of player I dont want in my poker games. Very nice post.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:58 PM

Experience helps me a lot but one thing I've never been able to get a handle on is how often people will bluff on the river if I check the turn. I know it's the most common bluff, etc. but am I just really unlucky or why does nobody bluff unpaired hands when I have AK? If you see that I'm 27/20 38wtsd or whatever don't you just figure that I want to show down cheap when I check the turn?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:05 PM

I don't think you're getting bluffed much against this player when you check the turn if you had AK, at least I wouldn't if I was in his spot.

I think you gotta 2 barrel most rivers if you bet the turn, and I think it's worth it, plus it will make you look a bit like a nutjob.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you gotta 2 barrel most rivers if you bet the turn, and I think it's worth it, plus it will make you look a bit like a nutjob.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

I think you have a pretty easy bet against a tight player.

The river is a bet as well IMO.

Oh, and I like preflop against the usual 30/20 that opens any2 in the SB. I am not sure about it against this guy but if he isnt SD bound I like it.