Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Taking the Best Available Player: How Far to Take It?

At the begining of the season and during the offseason, my general philosiphy has always been to go get the most value and worry about categories and positions later. The question is, how far to take it?

I play in a league with a deep bench (20 starters, 13 bench), so where do I draw the line in picking up players who wouldn't start for me? I've got an opportunity to pick up Grady Sizemore ($19 savings) for Richie Weeks ($13 savings). $6 is pretty significant, but I've already got my four starting outfielders; Dunn, Bay, Chris Young, and Granderson coming back with lower salaries than expectation. If I pick up Sizemore, that moves Granderson to the bench and leaves me with a hole (although very fillable) at second base. We do start a utility player, which is worth $6 less compared to playing OF, so that would make Sizemore vs Weeks a wash IF Alex Gordon starts the year in the minors. I could always try and trade Granderson, but I'm the only player in my league who sees his value. Personally, I think Weeks has more upside vs his projection than Sizemore. Neither player has much downside at the price I'd be getting them.