Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 02:12 AM

Default LA Poker Classic-Where to stay?

I'm thinking about heading out to LA for a week or so during la poker classic. commerce is booked all of feb apparently pretty much, anything close?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Re: LA Poker Classic-Where to stay?

downtown standard.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:28 AM

Screw that.

Stay in Norwalk 3 miles south of Commerce.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:32 PM

The Wyndahm is easily the next choice, its only like 5 or 6 blocks from the commerce.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:28 PM

I think they are sold out.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:26 PM

Hey Matt,

If you are young and want a little LA night-life to go with your poker stay at "The Standard" Downtown LA http://www.standardhotel.com/
It's a bit pricey but it's very nice and they have a sweet rooftop bar... and good access to the 5 which will get you to Commerce in good time.

Whatever you do don't stay in Norwalk that's just sad...

The Poker Atlas
www.thepokeratlas.com
Old 01-22-2007, 03:11 PM

WTF is wrong with you people? Dude wants to play poker, not break the bank staying at the current trendy location. Not everyone wants to blow $1500 plus on a hotel room for a week. Besides, as much as downtown has been built up, it would suck hard for a lone individual who is unfamiliar with the area trying to find something to do.

So anyway, to OP, I assume you are mostly interested in Commerce and therefore you may want to look into something along the 5 FWY in the Downey or Norwalk area. There is a Best Western at the next offramp from Commerce(Slauson exit). I cannot vouch for the hotels quality. The neighborhood is industrial, similiar to the area surrounding Commerce. Drive would be 5 minutes. Note that there is literally nothing to do in the immediate area. Also there is a Holiday Inn Express at the Montebello Town Center(technically listed in Rosemead). You would take surface streets to Commerce. In non rush hour time it would be a 15 minute drive. In rush hour it is 20-30 minute drive. Neighborhood is acceptable(don't stay though if your afraid of people soley on the basis of their brown skin) and there is a large mall on the same property.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Matt,

If you are young and want a little LA night-life to go with your poker stay at "The Standard" Downtown LA http://www.standardhotel.com/
It's a bit pricey but it's very nice and they have a sweet rooftop bar... and good access to the 5 which will get you to Commerce in good time.

Whatever you do don't stay in Norwalk that's just sad...

The Poker Atlas
www.thepokeratlas.com

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-22-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

WTF is wrong with you people? Dude wants to play poker, not break the bank staying at the current trendy location. Not everyone wants to blow $1500 plus on a hotel room for a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey genius - do a little research before acting foolish - basic standard room is the same price as commerce and far nicer.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, as much as downtown has been built up, it would suck hard for a lone individual who is unfamiliar with the area trying to find something to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is irrelevant considering the other locations you provided offer even less to do.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:06 PM

I just called Wyndham and they had vacancy, taxis readily available back and forth?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just called Wyndham and they had vacancy, taxis readily available back and forth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think theres a shuttle. Getting back late at night may require a taxi. I wouldn't walk it late at night.