Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: HSP: Why do you watch?

i can't believe that there actually exist nits that cry about bad play on a televised poker show.

fgators - maybe you should look for poker tips somewhere else.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question. Immediately when I first learned of this program, what is it now three years ago,

[/ QUOTE ]

Nowhere close. It came out in either late 05/early 06. 4th season does not = 4 years.

And most people watch it for entertainment. IF you're trying to learn by watching it, find another avenue to learn from.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:27 PM

i think once it gets to the next session where the buy in is 500K, HSP will be much better. i think the best HSP had to offer by far was season 3 when the table was sbrugby, antonius, antonio, ivey, booth, negreanu, jdags, and benaymine. hopefully the table will be something close to that next session
Old 10-09-2007, 04:34 PM

I like to hear the table talk both here and and on PAD. On PAD especially you get some great stories as there's more down time, like the time Doyle left a bag with 50k in cash in an ice cream parlor.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question. Immediately when I first learned of this program, what is it now three years ago, I immediately thought it would be a tremendous tool, almost like a free coaching session, to improve my cash game play. After all I would have access to 14-16 episodes of the very best NL hold'em players playing their own money. I could see how different styles worked and I could lock into my brain different lines to take with different hands/situations.

Well, as we hit the middle point of season four this is clearly very wrong on so many levels. Instead it should be used as a tool of how to NOT play NL Hold'em cash games. It is almost like that book, "Poker for Dummies", as GSN is showing dummies at work and giving you a blueprint for blowing a poker bankroll. (Hey, if you want to just follow Elezra, Safai, Gold, Baxter, Brandon, Farha, Negreanu (at times throughout the run of season 1 through 4, much less to a degree this year), as well as Laak/Harman's nittiness which is straight rejection of Doyle's old school 'don't be like Broomcorn's Uncle.'--(In Harman/Laak's case we don't know how many hands they actually played and I understand being card dead against this group is rough so me berating their play is a little harsh probably).

But still, why do you watch? Is it hopeless to gain any "skills" from this show?

Is this season better for having more entertainment with the big pots and big plays with guys calling 12k before the flop with J3 diamonds, limp/callng $3500 with 62o, having no concept of pot control, calling draws with very poor odds, etc. or worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's funny. it seems with 6849 posts.. you'd know more about poker.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think once it gets to the next session where the buy in is 500K, HSP will be much better. i think the best HSP had to offer by far was season 3 when the table was sbrugby, antonius, antonio, ivey, booth, negreanu, jdags, and benaymine. hopefully the table will be something close to that next session

[/ QUOTE ]
booth: in season 3 .. very little play. it seems he showed up just to push ivey off that hand then disappear. a real disappointment after a flashy start.

jdags: you have to be mentioning him because he was at the table.. not because of any special plays he might have made.

i like all 4 seasons.. but season 3 struck me as the season that people showed up to get their face on camera. it's true sbrugby, gold, and wassicka were there to make a statement and to show their skills off. we were left mostly with eli and sammy being the only ones of the "regulars" that even bothered playing any real poker.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 PM

OP, maybe you should start tivo-ing Poker, Learn from the Pros. I hear they have a whole episode on position.

If I played NL cash I think this show would actually mess up my game. I know I'd start calling raises in the SB with 52s and [censored].

I don't really know why I watch now. Gabe cracks me up every now and then. But that can't be enough all by itself.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:08 PM

Serious question: Do you watch the NFL to get better at football?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:24 PM

i watch in hopes of a great fistfight breaking out
Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 PM

-i watch for fun
-i refer to it to make money in home games (due to the bad play)
-to watch the waitresses