Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Default 25NL weird AQ spot.

Villain running 17/6/2 over 50 or so hands.
Is this always QQ/99/77 and bad played AA/KK scared of seeing a scare turn card? Easy fold?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

MP2 ($12.70)
MP3 ($27.05)
CO ($4)
Button ($12.55)
SB ($6.90)
BB ($30.50)
Hero ($45.95)
UTG+1 ($6.70)
MP1 ($21.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with , .
Hero raises to $1, 1 fold, MP1 calls $1, 6 folds.

Flop: ($2.35) , , (2 players)
Hero bets $2, MP1 raises to $6, Hero ?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: 25NL weird AQ spot.

call.
check/call
possibly value bet river depending on turn action.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:20 PM

I don't think you can call here. I don't know what he is playing this way that you beat.

What about checking the flop?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can call here. I don't know what he is playing this way that you beat.

What about checking the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

We should never play AQo UTG then. Which I rarely do anyway. Villain could Have KQ,JJ,TT. Depends on his opinion of our play.... Does he see this as a standard CB? You can win money at these limits by just folding everytime your CB meets aggression but it's not as much fun to me.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Maybe it's a leak of mine but I pretty much always lead here. I prefer to know where I stand in a hand early on.

I folded as it really, really looks like a set scared of being outdrawn. It's one of those "I know you're saying you have TPTK but I'm not listning," bets. I've seen FDs played like this - usually it's some stupid min bet - but until I see them make this sort of play and show down a FD then I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Mike - I was 9 tabling and don't know if the villain was paying attention to my play. I was running 11/9/5 (nit'ing it up FTW) and had only showed down two hands: set of aces and a set of 5s.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's a leak of mine but I pretty much always lead here. I prefer to know where I stand in a hand early on.

I folded as it really, really looks like a set scared of being outdrawn. It's one of those "I know you're saying you have TPTK but I'm not listning," bets. I've seen FDs played like this - usually it's some stupid min bet - but until I see them make this sort of play and show down a FD then I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is an excellent reason for all of us to incorporate the in position RR into our arsenals. I would love to do it more often than just when I have made hands and i do, but I don't think I do it often enough.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:51 PM

Playing AQ UTG is more times than not going to win you a small pot or lose a larger one, which is why calling here isn't optimal. I don't mind a fold here.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:52 PM

This hand really shows why I like having a good reason to raise UTG. If you default raise it you will run into problems like this.

I would tend to just check this flop in this spot since I wouldn't be too worried about the draws. You would prefer to get to bet this flop though.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 PM

You limp in with AQ UTG? Personally it's an open fold for me 80% of the time.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is an excellent reason for all of us to incorporate the in position RR into our arsenals. I would love to do it more often than just when I have made hands and i do, but I don't think I do it often enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good move but I only use it when I have a made hand as at 25NL i'm not trying to outplay anyone as alot of villains just don't pay enough attention.

Usually this type of pot IMO is best kept small. I usually just take it down early or try to get to SD for cheap. If I face resistance like this then i'm letting it go.