Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you aware of the Internet Gambling Prohibition Act?
Yes 37 94.87%
No 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Absolute Regulars Thread

[ QUOTE ]

Ive tried this method. It doesnt really work well for me. I usually end up getting pee all over myself. Pissing in a cup is alot easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your girlfriend must think you're a real catch
Old 11-17-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My whole family thinks I'm gross for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

they're not the only ones. Thats totally nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

If youre not playing on a laptop, how the hell do you go the bathroom if youre 4-8 tabling? Pissing in cup is the only answer I can come up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

for christ sakes.

1. You dont play more than 3 tables at a time anymore.

2. You haven't played a session long enough to warrant a bathroom break in approx. 9 months.

Back in the Party 2-4 days, this was a problem.

Now, just play 30 minutes at a time.

FWIW, I have never gone to the bathroom in a cup playing poker. I am so above that.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many hands have you played in the last 2 months? 3,000? I 3/4 table all the time. Even when I 2 table I still cant go to the bathroom without missing a hand. Im 29, my pee doesnt come out as fast as it used to. I dont like missing hands, and I dont like sitting out.

[/ QUOTE ]

last month I played 2000 hands.

This month I'm at 3,500 hands.

What is your point?

Guitar Hero III >>>>>> poker

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 11-17-2007, 09:43 AM

ive been tempted to piss in a bottle so many times, but i just cant bring myself to doing it.

i know... piss breaks every hour or two. but that doesnt work. i drink a lot of water while i play; i down a full bottle before ive even played a full round. and there's something about playing poker that makes me have to relieve myself 5x as often as if i was doing something i actually enjoyed.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive been tempted to piss in a bottle so many times, but i just cant bring myself to doing it.

i know... piss breaks every hour or two. but that doesnt work. i drink a lot of water while i play; i down a full bottle before ive even played a full round. and there's something about playing poker that makes me have to relieve myself 5x as often as if i was doing something i actually enjoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly. I feel like despite the fact that I play a game of cards for a living (ie I contribute nothing to the greater well-being of mankind) I escape total degeneracy by avoiding things like pissing in a bottle while I play.

at least that is my BS rationization.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:11 AM

Default You want to go pro?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For anyone that is thinking about "going pro", you might want to check this thread out for examples of how "pros" feel about being pro a year after they are pro. I know at least 6 ppl on AP that have expressed feelings towards poker ranging from a loss of love to outright hatred at times.

This is not an easy job. If you have the endurance, you can get through, just know that "liking poker a lot" isnt enough. Soon enough you hit a wall, then it's just a job.

For me, playing live with ILP is like going to the movies, playing online is just another thing I have to do now, like laundry, and showering, and showing up to teach freshmen bitches.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: You want to go pro?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For anyone that is thinking about "going pro", you might want to check this thread out for examples of how "pros" feel about being pro a year after they are pro. I know at least 6 ppl on AP that have expressed feelings towards poker ranging from a loss of love to outright hatred at times.

This is not an easy job. If you have the endurance, you can get through, just know that "liking poker a lot" isnt enough. Soon enough you hit a wall, then it's just a job.

For me, playing live with ILP is like going to the movies, playing online is just another thing I have to do now, like laundry, and showering, and showing up to teach freshmen bitches.

[/ QUOTE ]

while I totally understand where you are coming from, I will say that I think you underestimate the crappiness of the 9-5 in a cubicle with no windows in a horribly cold city with a 45 minute subway commute twice a day.

I've been playing pro two months now, and I love poker more than ever. I really like playing online, I love playing live, and reading and posting strat and watching videos is just gravy.

maybe I'll change my tune in 12 months time, but for now I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing. And the thought of going back to my old job is like pure horror. And not crappy horror like An American Haunting, but good horror like the original The Shining that totally freaked the sh!t out of you.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while I totally understand where you are coming from, I will say that I think you underestimate the crappiness of the 9-5 in a cubicle with no windows in a horribly cold city with a 45 minute subway commute twice a day.

I've been playing pro two months now, and I love poker more than ever. I really like playing online, I love playing live, and reading and posting strat and watching videos is just gravy.

maybe I'll change my tune in 12 months time, but for now I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing. And the thought of going back to my old job is like pure horror. And not crappy horror like An American Haunting, but good horror like the original The Shining that totally freaked the sh!t out of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the timeline for people turning pro.

month 1

OMFG I don't have to get up at 6am, I get to play 2000 hands of poker a day, I make so much $$$$$$$$$$$, this is awesome. Free money.

Month 2.

Same

Month 3.

AFter going through a 400BB downswing, you start to hate playing, because you know you are going to get stomped, but you have to play 6 hours to get your hands in.

Month 4. Play only half the hands you should, reason, see month 3.

Month 5-6, run hotter than god, then play 3x as many hands as month four because you are so awesome.

Month 7. Realize you already have surpassed your salary from last year in 6 months. Play 0 hands.

Month 8. Play 5000 hands in the first week, lose 300BB, hate poker, have no motivation to play poker.

and so on.

10 months from now, I hope you like poker as much as you do now. I don't know that many ppl that actually "like" being an online pro. It's just better than a real job.

I tell ILP all the time. It's not so much I hate my job (I teach high school english and science), I hate the idea of a job. In this world, since I need a job to survive, the job I have is a good fit for me. Better than working at the post office, or walmart, or the mall. But, a job in general sucks.

For me, the pressure of having to hit 30K hands a month while being a Pro with no other job is too much. I'm too lazy, and I can't play that many hands.

Having a job, with insurance is nice, because anything I make at poker is gravy. And honestly, I probably would only play an extra 5-10 hands per month if I was a full time pro.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

month 1

OMFG I don't have to get up at 6am, I get to play 2000 hands of poker a day, I make so much $$$$$$$$$$$, this is awesome. Free money.

Month 2.

Same

Month 3.

AFter going through a 400BB downswing, you start to hate playing, because you know you are going to get stomped, but you have to play 6 hours to get your hands in.

Month 5-6, run hotter than god, then play 3x as many hands as month four because you are so awesome.

Month 7. Realize you already have surpassed your salary from last year in 6 months. Play 0 hands.

Month 8. Play 5000 hands in the first week, lose 300BB, hate poker, have no motivation to play poker.

and so on.

10 months from now, I hope you like poker as much as you do now. I don't know that many ppl that actually "like" being an online pro. It's just better than a real job.

I tell ILP all the time. It's not so much I hate my job (I teach high school english and science), I hate the idea of a job. In this world, since I need a job to survive, the job I have is a good fit for me. Better than working at the post office, or walmart, or the mall. But, a job in general sucks.

For me, the pressure of having to hit 30K hands a month while being a Pro with no other job is too much. I'm too lazy, and I can't play that many hands.

Having a job, with insurance is nice, because anything I make at poker is gravy. And honestly, I probably would only play an extra 5-10 hands per month if I was a full time pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess some of this doesn't really apply to me because my old job didn't really give me much a discount for insurance, and as a pretty healthy 24 year old I really don't need more than the basic Blue cross that I have now.

Also I really don't grind 6 hours a day, I pretty much just play whenever I find good tables as want to. I really don't need or am trying to make a ton of money, I just want enough to pay the bills and go out to eat a couple times a week (and making that is pretty easy).

plus now I actually have free time to pursue other interests (I'm trying to play profesional baseball next year) and spend time with my gf who is constantly swamped (med student).

I think if I had previously had a job I even some what liked (and I think teaching high school actually sounds like a not horrible job) I think the decision would have been much tougher. But the fact is that I loathed my previous job, and I was going to quit it pretty soon anyway.

I guess to each his own, but I think I might have the right kind of disposition for this "profession". I'll keep this post in mind though, and if I find myself going down that track in the future I'll definitely look back and lol at my naivete (sp?).
Old 11-17-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

month 1

Month 2.

Same

Month 3.

and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

year 2:
Decide you hate limit and want to be a tourney pro. Go on a sick heater winning 5 tourneys in a month. Think you are the future of poker.

4 months later you haven't had a top 3 finish in 7 weeks. You hate poker and tourneys. You know you are going to to lose every coin flip at the final table.

month 18 become a Razz pro. The games are soft and filled with moron's who complete the bring in with tens showing. RRun well for a while then realize the razz ecosystem is not full enough of fishes to sustain my family.

month 20: support my family playing Omaha, have modest results.

month 22: couple months of NLHE remember I dont enjoy this game very much.

Begin year 3:

Decide to return to LHE because it always was the most consistently profitable game for me. Have a decent but not great 8 months trying to move my game back to 10/20 which was like taking candy from children 3 years ago (obv not anymore). Finally feel like everything is going well enough for that to happen and then drop 300 BB's in the last 3 weeks. Consider being a razz pro again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. or a tourney pro, or switching to NLHE.

And never piss in a bottle at my desk. Is it really that hard to click on sit out and walk to the bathroom?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:43 PM

Hip, I hope you don't think that I'm one of the AP "pros" that doesn't like her job. I LOVE what I do for a living right now. It's true that I don't enjoy poker like I used to, but since I'm in month 7 and running good I am still a happy "pro". Nothing is fun when you are "forced" to do it. But the idea of going back to a 9 to 5 job in a cubicle with no windows in a cold city fighting rush hour traffic every day makes throw up a little in my mouth.