FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: NL25, hero has a Premium Hand and faces a 4BB bet and a raise to 8

[ QUOTE ]

So, you fold everything but AA or KK?
You fold QQ and medium pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Medium pairs for sure, see above.

QQ is borderline. Donīt want to fold it on the one hand side, feels so week-tight. On the other hand, I might be a mouse but I put him on JJ+ here, maybe AK. Thatīs not because he is 3-betting, but because he is 3-betting so small.

Plus, negative implied odds. Whenever he has a hand of that range, itīs either going to be a big pot (flop comes T high), and we loose 2/3 of the time (AA,KK) and win 1/3 of the time (JJ), or we win but itīs a small pot (flop comes T high, he has AK), or flop comes J high which is a desaster.

Now, I know very well that sometimes he has some other hand. But I donīt think that risk/reward is good here for playing QQ.

I raise big with AA,KK and only sometimes I shove. I might tend to shove if thereīs villains who have seen me shove AK.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To answer the OP, stack sizes are such that calling to set-mine is marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I daresay itīs -EV. Pure setmining, that is, w/o hope for making the best hand as an overpair.

I think the odds against making a set are like 8.5:1. Plus, on rare occasions we loose to a higher set. Plus, sometimes the original raiser will reraise, either big (we have to fold) or small (we have to call again then if the sandwich villain doesnīt shove), so we need to win like estimated ~11 times our investment every time we make a set. That is $22 and more than the stack of the original raiser. I donīt setmine here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree that against one opponent, it's definitely -EV, but the possibility of hitting and stacking both players has to add some value here, no? I'm not sure on the math for this, but this is why I said it was borderline as opposed to strictly -EV.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:01 PM

Typically, I call with hands that have an inflection point on the flop (22-JJ), possibly reraise queens (and wider) if this donkified activity has gone on a while, and reraise/shove AA/KK almost all the time, unless one of the two of them is a roaring mouse with a PFR of 2-4. In that case, reraise AA only, reraise/call with Kings (depending on which one the mouse is), and run for cover if the mouse goes all in.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reraise/call with Kings (depending on which one the mouse is), and run for cover if the mouse goes all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are we flatting KK preflop, if we are running for cover if the mouse goes all in? We're using KK for set value only? There's no point to calling 2 dollars preflop and c/f any flop where the mouse shows aggression, we may as well fold preflop then (and that is just awful). Unless an opponent has stats of 2/2 over thousands of hands, I'm playing QQ-AA and AK the same as OP here because you WILL get looked up as weak as JJ-TT, even AK-AQ even more so against an unknown.

Also reload preflop.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Are you people for real!?!?

THIS IS 25NL!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOVE PRE FLOP AND YOU'LL BE CALLED BY AK AQ KK QQ JJ and other random holdings by random retards.