Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 04:01 PM

Default AK hand (25 NL)

Villain is 10.5/.4/1.8 over 56 hands. Hasn't been out of line yet.

Villain has 35 dollars and I have him covered.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) HERO is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to $1</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($5.25, 5 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $4.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">HERO ???</font>

I really hated this position and couldn't think of the correct play. Is just folding here being too much of a nit because I can't pick out a hand in villains range that he will bet into 4 people on that flop?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: AK hand (25 NL)

ummm... don't fold.

I would probably raise and call a push here. He could be betting a draw, a weaker ace, etc. I doubt he cold calls with a weak hand like a4 or q4, and he would most likely raise QQ, and probably AQ (although that may not be true).
Old 03-04-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ummm... don't fold.

I would probably raise and call a push here. He could be betting a draw, a weaker ace, etc. I doubt he cold calls with a weak hand like a4 or q4, and he would most likely raise QQ, and probably AQ (although that may not be true).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would play AQ-AT (maybe AKo because of his position) this way and I am not nearly as nitty as SB. 44 is also a posibility, and with all the callers in front of him I can see a call from the SB with A4s (or other suited aces). 56 hands isn't a huge read either and he could have just been on a cold deck.

To OP: I really want to raise here to push out the rest of the field but I think we really need to consider the fact we may be behind and want to keep the pot as small as we can if we are going for a WA/WB line. I like a call and see how the rest of the field reacts. Then I play a WA/WB line because we may be against another suited ace or a Q+draw. If the draws start comming in, or SB doesn't slow down, or the field behind gets squirrely. Then I think I can let this go. I'm just not ready to fold it yet.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:42 PM

THIS MAY BE BAD ADVICE, I JUST STARTED PLAYING CASH GAMES

At NL 25 this is a weak ace trying to protect his hand from a flush 80% of the time. Most 25NL players would check/raise 44 or AQ here (SLOWPLAY SYNDROME) since there is so many to the flop, so I think youre way ahead. I would reraise to 14ish and call a push.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:51 PM

I make a big raise here and call a push. This board is way too drawy to just call. Folding &gt; calling IMO.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At NL 25 this is a weak ace trying to protect his hand from a flush 80% of the time. Most 25NL players would check/raise 44 or AQ here (SLOWPLAY SYNDROME) since there is so many to the flop, so I think youre way ahead. I would reraise to 14ish and call a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

That could be one way to interpret this but villains vpip is 10, its over a small sample but I still have to consider it so I doubt hes calling with a weak ace. I interpret this bet into 4 opponents as a bet that wants action and he can expect to get it on this flop. I think he either has a combo draw and I'm 50/50 or I'm beat and with 3 people left to act behind me I like a fold.

That analysis is all in hind sight as I didn't fold the hand. I made a smallish raise to 10 dollars and villain pushed. HERO???
Old 03-04-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are spot on. This kind of situation is discussed in NLHTAP and it says that when a player bets strong into multiple opponents, he will typically have a good, but not great hand. SB is basically saying: I don't mind a call or two, I don't want everyone to call, and it wouldn't be so bad to take down this pot right now. This is basically in line with a weaker ace protecting against a flush draw.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That could be one way to interpret this but villains vpip is 10, its over a small sample but I still have to consider it so I doubt hes calling with a weak ace. I interpret this bet into 4 opponents as a bet that wants action and he can expect to get it on this flop. I think he either has a combo draw and I'm 50/50 or I'm beat and with 3 people left to act behind me I like a fold.

That analysis is all in hind sight as I didn't fold the hand. I made a smallish raise to 10 dollars and villain pushed. HERO???

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold against this opponent.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 10.5/.4/1.8 over 56 hands. Hasn't been out of line yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going on this kind of a read I don't think villain is in the category of slowplay syndrome but as I said 56 hands isn't much to go on. Though I do agree that it is a good chance it's a weak Ace taking a stab which is why I want to go to a WA/WB line with them (assuming the field behind me doesn't get rowdy).

Any reasonable re-raise pretty well commits us to this pot whether villain or someone else in this field pushes. Which allows them to play their hands perfectly. If they push over they have us beat or at best we're 50/50 but we are locked into a call.

As others have said folding may even be better then calling but I think raising is really the worst option.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:24 PM

I would call and fold against a big bet if a spade falls on the turn. If not I call all the way, but try to control pot size.