Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games

Old 11-16-2007, 10:21 AM

Default 10,000th Post

I figured that, since about 9,900 of my posts are in POG, I would think back over my time here and share some of my favourite moments, and some of the most painful ones, as well.

Most of you will probably never really understand how important POG is to me. The day POG opened happens to be the day my father passed away after a very short battle with cancer. At the same time, my wife was in & out of the hospital during her pregnancy, and there was concern about both her health and the health of the baby. POG was there for me at a time when I desperately needed an escape, and the "Original" poggers who were such great people will always be very special to me. It really was a different place then, and I know the "newer" POGgers hate when I say that, but it is true. POG is still pretty awesome now, but it isn't the same. But, enough of the emo, let's get to some of my more brilliant moments, which are often coupled with the horrid, horrid idiocy of others bringing me down [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

These are roughly in chronological order, and there's links where appropriate:

1. Leading my first lynch. The game was Mafia vs Werewolf, and it was my very first game. Link: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=5420040

This was a two faction game, but different than what we run now. The seer could only peek Werewolves/non-Wolves, and the Cop only Mafia/not-mafia. This was also when there were kills before the first game day. The awesome part - each team picked off someone from the other side n0. It went really down hill from there, as I recall.

Anyway, fast forward to late in the game... it's nearing must lynch, and I think the current wagon leader is acting villager, and that somebody is going unnoticed. So I spend 3 hours putting together a case, and get Rick Diesel lynched. Obviously, he was the angel, and was afraid to roleclaim, thinking it was against the rules [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Strangely enough, I don't lead many lynches after that. BTW, the original wagon leader was a wolf, and I was lynched next.

2. My first power role. The game was Kingmaker, which I think is a cool cool concept. Link: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=5486742

The idea of the game is one player picks a king each day, who chooses the lynch. If the Kingmaker is lynched/night killed, he gets to pick the next one. This role is always a villager, and is always secret. I was the Kingmaker, so I was really in to the game. I even figured out the game the day I picked a wolf King (oops, figured it out a few hours late) and was nk'd that night. Holla me, but we lost the game. My first game with amp, I think. At the time, I was under the impression he was in college.

3. My first modding experience: Turf Wars. Link: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=5964973

I was so happy to see how much fun people had, despite my mistakes, of which there were a few. I kind of had to abandon the game near the end, but I had an excuse. My wife would have been SUPER pissed had I not shown up when she had the baby.

4. Survivor 1.

I had a ton of fun in this game. I built a strong alliance day 1, and then got switched to the other tribe, where I had to do it all over again. Had I talked to durron at Final 5, I think he & I end up final 2. Instead, I went to 3 with two RL friends. Le sigh. Then in the Final 3 challenge, I enter GUT as my last word in Scrabble, instead of TUG elsewhere... from which MEbenhoe is able to get a 40-ish point word, and win the match, eventually taking the challenge. Regardless, 'twas a great experience.

5. Belgariad

My first time as a wolf. I won't spend much time on this, because it still stings. But, after figuring out the two seers night 1 & 3 (and not pushing to have them killed, so they weren't), and then being peeked as a wolf, I come up with a plan to STILL win the game, and announce it in thread. Jonsan missed deadline, and then 11s gave away that he was a wolf due to a misunderstanding. Sadly, we still lost, despite a brave effort from pudley with a new plan the next day, and a leap of faith from MDD that he was, in fact, the villager that wins with the wolves.

6. Redux

Yuck. That is all.

7. Demon

I waited forever for this game to start, and it was about as awesome as I thought it would be. Such a great idea, although slightly flawed in execution. The Demon Hunter had an absolutely dominating strategy, and was unbeatable for the Demons. Pwning mets as the Angel was nice, though.

8. The Election

I was a wolf this game, and was absolutely destroyed day 1. I've never been that wolfy. It was awful. This is another of the games that is a great idea, but not executed well. Completely new concepts can be impossible to balance without playing, so no blame to Nich. Chuck and amp had me near tears from laughter when they started with the cats.

9. From my worst wolf performance to my best... Star Trek 2

Damn you Herbie for lynching me. Right person, wrong reason, and I still hate that you were allowed to quote outside threads in the game.

10. Firefly

If I am remembering correctly, this was my very first must-lynch. If it wasn't, it was right around the time of my first. I had 3 in very close proximity. I lynched soah, and he was the wolf. It felt good, since I'd been all about shorty being a wolf from the beginning, but took the time to go back and reread. I got soah in a 3-2 situation in one of the LOTR (#2?) around the same time, as well, but was nk'd before the last day. I think. Too lazy to go back and look it up. But I've never felt as good about my game as I did then (well, I feel pretty good as of the time I write this, but who knows what I'll be thinking when I actually post).

11. Ginger Kids turbo

I don't remember when this happened, exactly, but it was fun. Me, bram & GT1T as wolves, Madtown the mod, sweeping the village. We nailed nich the seer because of a slip talking about the "all villager" wagon that had a living player on it. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Other, non - WW moments:

The zero + OH thread, specifically the wedding picture. That was brilliant.
2+2 Diplomacy. Banging my head against the wall that is Sniper for 2 hours working out a plan that he had no intention of following, when he could have just said "no", and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. My great stab against Austria, as Italy, in game 2, that would have nearly guaranteed my win... except for a totally random movement by Russia that accomplished nothing for him, but cost me two centres.
When OH AIM'd me and asked if I knew php. Saying yes might have been a stretch, but I think that's worked out well for both of us. It's a good thing I learn fast. This has opened up a new line of work for me, although I'm still at my new job. This has made me much happier in life, seeing a possibility of a light at the end of the cubicle hell tunnel.
POG Mayor. I coulda won. I shoulda won. I misread Herbie.

I thought about saying something nice about all my favourite poggers, then decided that wasn't really my style. But, hell, most of this post is not really my style. So, I actually wrote some stuff, but I deleted it. I'm not good at writing nice things about people.

Instead, I decided to break down my opinion of POGgers as a whole, in smiley form:

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Poggers I've been missing, that need to come back:
thebram
elevens
Madtown
econophile
amplify
sighing
xorbie
jonsan
pudley (I saw you in here last night... I know you're around!)

Finally, to wrap things up...pictures!

Mia, LDO:

Mia and the boss at Hallowe'en:

Me, zero, Mia & The Boss. OH is hiding behind the camera
Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: 10,000th Post

[ QUOTE ]
#12986393 - 11/16/07 09:21 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Movember 16th
Old 11-16-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
7. Demon

I waited forever for this game to start, and it was about as awesome as I thought it would be. Such a great idea, although slightly flawed in execution. The Demon Hunter had an absolutely dominating strategy, and was unbeatable for the Demons. Pwning mets as the Angel was nice, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

when we shot the demon hunter night 1 and it caused nich to die and we could never kill him even though we knew who he was, the game was over

Congrats on 10K -- this means you are only 1/2 as much of a loser as i am
Old 11-16-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Congrats on 10K -- this means you are only 1/2 as much of a loser as i am

[/ QUOTE ]

Except you registered 7.5 months after me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 10:31 AM

This was almost an awesome post. Then you mentioned Redux. I give this a 3/10.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
9. From my worst wolf performance to my best... Star Trek 2

Damn you Herbie for lynching me. Right person, wrong reason, and I still hate that you were allowed to quote outside threads in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did explicity ask Soah what I was and wasn't allowed to post about that - heh. I still feel kinda bad though because you played really well.

Also - nice post and damn you for beating me to 10k [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This was almost an awesome post. Then you mentioned survivor 1. I give this a 3/10.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2007, 10:52 AM

also, signup dates are irrelevant cause pog started april 06? so any of us signed up before then only had a handful of posts
Old 11-16-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, signup dates are irrelevant cause pog started april 06? so any of us signed up before then only had a handful of posts

[/ QUOTE ]

i had over 8k before pog started
Old 11-16-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i had over 8k before pog started

[/ QUOTE ]

but ur ghey