Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: jimmy rollins is a yambag

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the mvp -- to me means the most valuable player to helping your team win games. and if your team doesnt win games, you arent that valuable to your team. You may be the best player in baseball, but not the most valuable player in the league. Cause baseball is a team game, and the goal is to win, not put up stats

[/ QUOTE ]
How can players help their team win? I would suggest fielding well and hitting well. The goal is to win but the best way to win is to put up stats. You are arguing a prerequisite to being MVP is having a strong team around you. Do you realize how ridiculous this is?

[/ QUOTE ]

it may sound ridiculous, but i still think it is true. For the most part, i think the voters agree

Like i said, i would like the Hank Aaron award to become more mainstream, and the rules of the MVP award to be defined more similiarly to my criteria. Until that happens, there will always be this controversy
Old 11-20-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Matt Holliday clearly should have won. The 20/20/20/20 thing is obviously very impressive. However, Curtis Granderson did the same thing and didn't sniff the MVP or the win a Gold Glove in the AL, despite being one of the top 5 defensive centerfielders in the MLB.

Looking at Holliday's absurd numbers, I think he got absolutely jobbed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holliday's road #s
.301 11hrs 55rbi .485 slugging .860 OPS

double those and tell me if he didnt play at Coors he was an MVP candidate

[/ QUOTE ]

You can take his Coors numbers and adjust them down, but you can't just replace them with his road numbers. What if a player playing in a hitting-neutral park hit 40 homers at home and 15 on the road, would you throw away 25 homers from his line?

[/ QUOTE ]

holliday's road #s dont come close to wrights, rollins's, fielders, or whatever other candidate you want to give me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not my point. My point is that you can't judge solely on road numbers. His home numbers do count! Coors field doesn't turn an average hitter into a 1.000+ OPS hitter. The entire difference between his home and road number's isn't wiped out when you adjust for the park.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Matt Holliday clearly should have won. The 20/20/20/20 thing is obviously very impressive. However, Curtis Granderson did the same thing and didn't sniff the MVP or the win a Gold Glove in the AL, despite being one of the top 5 defensive centerfielders in the MLB.

Looking at Holliday's absurd numbers, I think he got absolutely jobbed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holliday's road #s
.301 11hrs 55rbi .485 slugging .860 OPS

double those and tell me if he didnt play at Coors he was an MVP candidate

[/ QUOTE ]

You can take his Coors numbers and adjust them down, but you can't just replace them with his road numbers. What if a player playing in a hitting-neutral park hit 40 homers at home and 15 on the road, would you throw away 25 homers from his line?

[/ QUOTE ]

holliday's road #s dont come close to wrights, rollins's, fielders, or whatever other candidate you want to give me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not my point. My point is that you can't judge solely on road numbers. His home numbers do count! Coors field doesn't turn an average hitter into a 1.000+ OPS hitter. The entire difference between his home and road number's isn't wiped out when you adjust for the park.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dante Bichette had over a 1000 OPS at home in his 7 years with the rockies. even with that included, his career OPS is .835.

His career high SLG in his first 5 years was .435, then went to the rockies and slugged .526 .548 .620 his first 3 years there

this was just the 1st name that popped into my head
Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 PM

nefi perez's last season in colorodo he slugged .435

got traded to kc and slugged .302 and .303 the next two seasons

vinny castilla slugged .478 in 1999, his last season as a rockie. went to tampa bay in 2000, and slugged .308

do i need to go on?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 PM

im surprised rollins won gold glove, i think troy was a stud there

but anyone who says holliday was a good defensive outfielder is wrong. he was average, at best.

rollins was a consitent fielder, playing all 162 games, and had to deal with utley and howard both missing significant time and lead this team on a big charge, and didnt need 163 games to do it.

rollins had alot of pressure on both sides of teh ball because SS is easily the most important fieling position, and he was the leadoff, adn he did both jobs exceedingly well, so i think he deserved it.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Juan Uribe slugged .341 and .427 in his last two years in Col. He slugged .506 in his first year in Chicago.

Theory disproven.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Juan Uribe slugged .341 and .427 in his last two years in Col. He slugged .506 in his first year in Chicago.

Theory disproven.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats cause he took steroids in 2004 ldo :P
Old 11-20-2007, 06:24 PM

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/inde...lins/#comments
Old 11-20-2007, 06:28 PM

Aside from the pitcher's parks, he had to go against the best pitchers in the league. Rollins got rack up stats against teams like florida and washington.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 PM

I think the more important discussion is how awesome it was that Woody Paige was able to get in and vote Troy Tulowitzki 3rd. He probably thought 1st would look too questionable.