Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: My First, And Perhaps Only, Statement About Absolute

[ QUOTE ]
Wow Ikestoys. Your post is rather telling. For an increase in monetary gain of a mere 5k, you are willing to overlook a cheater/lier/fraudster gaining 40 times that amount - 200k. This sounds likes a radically capitalistic view, in which the only motivation is monetary gain. How is this morally different than accepting 5k from AP to cover up, or look the other way? It is no wonder that corporations in our soceity are allowed to get away with whatever they wish for profit. Because so many live only for monetary profit, and not for enrichment of life as a whole. "As long as I get mine, why should I care how they got theirs". Just a sad way to view the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

that wasn't the question... the question was if someone I hate has to get 200k for me to get an extra 5k. Because I don't live to spite other people, I'd take the 5k.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:28 PM

I will buy your books, but will only look at the pictures.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM

[x] OP was suprisingly good
Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Think of someone you hate. You have a choice between:

A. You getting $50k and that person getting $10k
B. You getting $25k and that person getting $0

If you choose B then you are a moron.

I don't get why everyone is hating on this OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Choosing B does not make you a moron. Money does not have the same utility value to everyone. Sometimes standing on principle is worth more utility than just dollars.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 AM

We should appreciate David's honesty and bluntness. I think David is stating that the lack of AP cheating detection you are taking a big chance on getting cheated playing there. You should understand this increased chance of being cheated, and decide based on your level of play and expected profits whether to play there or not. I agree to an extent that it is a +ev or -ev situation. But, I think you also have to factor in your morals and place a value on those morals. FWIW - I will not be playing there with the current owners and software.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 01:18 AM

Sklansky's been shooting for a highly paid, low work load, collusion expert consultant job since the days when Planet Poker and Paradise were the top sites. When the rest of us see scandal, he sees money making oppurtunites.

For those of you who haven't read Sklansky's posts in SMP, there is nothing new with his "act in your own best interest" doctrine. He's a hedonist and will act in his own best interest, and believes everyone else will too.

DY.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... He's a hedonist and will act in his own best interest, and believes everyone else will too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that people will act in their own best interest. It is just that we define it differently. To some people it means do whatever you can, to others it means do what you can without getting caught, to another it means follow the rules because life is better that way, to others it means if someone does not follow the rules then punish him severely, etc. etc. etc.

In this case, I believe that our best interests are served by applying all the heat we can to Absolute Poker. That means that we should refrain from making conciliatory remarks before the results are even in. Others see it as an opportunity to play there.

Different definitions of self interest.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I will never again buy a book from David Sklansky. And that is a moral statement."

Why not take it further and say you will never READ another book by me?

You won't of course. Even if there was some mechanism whereby I got my royalty whenever someone read my book and there was no way of avoiding that.

If I was a child killer and my book was about butterfly collecting, you might indeed never read my book about your hobby. Even more so if there was some chance it would stop future killings.

But none of that is the case here. Whether you are talking about reading poker books or playing poker online. Learning poker concepts is a worthwile endeavor. Playing it fulltime, especially online where there is no social interaction, is just a way for smart people to get rich without contributing much. It is not a subject for high falootin philosophising.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about medium falootin philosophising?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:11 AM

its still +EV to play at AP, blah blah blah, david you should be using your influence to call for a boycott of AP and UB, instead of trying to show how smart you are when it comes to +EV

your post was very very disappointing. anyone who knows what the owners did and still plays at AP or UB is a coward with no morals. sadly more and more americans fall into this category every day.

GROW A ******* BACK BONE AND BOYCOTT THESE SCUM BAGS!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't even noticed the games at AP becoming better since this whole mess occurred.

Mainly just a bunch of propped-up 30-60 games every time I look -- at least on the limit side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how heavily propped the games lower down are now? I keep reading that the player levels have not fallen, and each time I wonder whether AP have just increased the number of props and house bots.