Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
like there is this HUGE difference between playing JTo and JTs. It's like what, 2%, equity against a random?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a non-trivial difference. For the same reason 27o is the 'worst' hand even though it dominates 23o.
Although your equity vs. random hands doesn't differ that much, JTs can hit flops harder.
When you're playing JTs against a PFR, you're almost never happy with just 1pair, you're playing the hand as a draw. JTs has a much stronger draw than JTo.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:46 AM

This barely falls under "strategy", but it's fresh in my mind since it happened at my local cardroom a few hours ago.

A very bad loose-passive limit holdem regular (call him Sammy) dusts off a few racks by playing his usual style of limping every hand and calling all the way down. In less than an hour, Sammy goes on a heater and picks up a quick six racks.

Another slightly better but still very awful regular (call him Marlin) comes over and says, "Hey Sammy, nice stack! Is that your record win?" Sammy replies, "I always lose." Marlin (assuming hyperbole on Sammy's part) says, "No, I mean when you win, is this the most you've ever won? Or have you had bigger wins?" Sammy, confused, says, "I always lose. I just come in and play until I lose it all." Marlin comes back, "But you win sometimes, right?" Sammy (still confused) just looks down and says softly, "I lose every single time."

So, I guess it's strategy. Sammy's poor strategy is showing up every night at the cardroom.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:34 AM

Just thought of another good one.

While donk is calling 3-cold PF: "I have to call, I have a jackpot hand"

Note: There is only one hand that would never qualify as a jackpot hand, 23o.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:36 AM

This isn't really strategy but I had to at least put it out there. I bet out on a board where I have the near nuts...guys says "You haven't played a hand in like an hour so you're probably bluffing." ...and he calls. Brilliant reasoning.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't really strategy but I had to at least put it out there. I bet out on a board where I have the near nuts...guys says "You haven't played a hand in like an hour so you're probably bluffing." ...and he calls. Brilliant reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

and that is why conservative play is profitable
Old 05-06-2007, 06:39 AM

"The stronger I think my opponent is the harder I try to bluff him, that's how good of a player I am."
Old 05-06-2007, 02:10 PM

I was playing a 10 person sit and go online. We get to 4 handed and top three cash. I raise 4 hands in row(Aj Aq...etc) Guy in the bb the last hand then says...

"You are going to lose all of your money pal"
me-What?
"you are raising every hand...you should never raise pre-flop"
me-are you serious right now? you have to be joking.

"No, i have lost so many times with AA all in pre flop, i dont raise because you dont know what is going to come on the flop...any two cards can win."

me-this has to be a joke...there is no way you actually believe that.

"you are a joke for raising everytime you have a hand...you'll just lose your chips faster that way. I guarantee you that i will finish ahead of you."

me-ok pal...

That conversation goes on for about a half-hour with me trying to make my point, but he always just says"you never know what is going to happen on the flop"

Needless to say, the guy never raised, busted out in 4th place, and i went on to win.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:15 PM

you talked about this with him for a half-hour?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:25 PM

ya, he was berating how i was playing. it wasnt non stop, but everytime he won a pot he would comment on how his strategy worked, and when i would raise and then fold a hand, he would tell me how much of an idiot i was for raising. I was trying to tell him how he was wrong, but he didnt believe me.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to tell him how he was wrong, but he didnt believe me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at least you tried. Whatever happens, make sure you keep on top of your crusade to educate the fish.

While you were at it, did you give him your wallet, and let him [censored] your wife?