Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Dealing with a loss (stillbirth)

my heart goes out to you and your wife.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Having not been through the process yet, is there something about 40 weeks that makes the stillbirth rate slightly higher?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "optimal" time for a fetus to be delivered, strictly in terms of balancing fetal risk vs. neonatal complications, is 38 weeks. After that, the stillbirth rate begins to slowly rise. Shortly after 40 weeks, the risk increase becomes dramatic... doubling by 42 weeks and tripling by 43 weeks. This is the reason why nowadays no obstetrician allows their patients to progress to 43 weeks whereas it was common 20 years ago. When I began residency, we routinely delivered patients at 41-42 weeks. Just within the last 5 years or so there has been a trend to induce labor routinely at an earlier date, such that I haven't seen a single 41+ week delivery at my hospital (unless they walk in the door with no prenatal care) in 2 years. I am in the minority to offer routine induction at 39 weeks, but most obstetricians in Las Vegas will not wait much past 40.

The hardest thing to accept is the statistical inevitability. There is some statistical risk for stillbirth after 39 weeks, and no real good reason to wait any longer. But with hundreds of thousands of live deliveries at 40+ weeks each year in the U.S., there will be hundreds of stillbirths at 40+ weeks each year.

I want those to disappear.

There will still be stillbirths at 39, 38, 37 weeks, etc... and there will still be neonatal deaths, where seemingly healthy babies just die in the first few days of life.

But there is a group of babies each year that die in utero at 40+ weeks who would have lived if they were born earlier. I believe that it is our obligation to identify the point at which the risk of induction is clearly outweighed by the risk of continuing pregnancy. I believe this point lies between 38 and 39 weeks. The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology has a published guideline recommending that routine induction of labor NOT be offered prior to 39 weeks, so we are bound by that recommendatin for the time being. But it will be modified in the near future, I predict.

This topic is deeply troubling for me. The day each of my patients passes 39 weeks of pregnancy I offer induction of labor. If they decline, I lay in my bed at night hoping that I will be able to hear their baby's heartbeat the next time I see them.

Irieguy
Old 10-17-2006, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There have been a handful of posts that have made me laugh, but none that have made me shed a tear. My deepest condolences.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2006, 01:30 AM

Hey man,

I sent you a PM. My wife and I went through this scenario, twice. I lost my first son, and then my daughter in the next pregnancy. Both still born. Both horrific. My heart goes out to you. My wife's heart goes out to you. You are in your thoughts and prayers. If you want to talk to someone else who has been through this, has seeked answers where no one has any, and has the scars i'm happy to talk w/you and so is my wife. if not know you are not alone. i am truly sorry.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 AM

That is gutwrenching. I am so sorry.

I wonder if there are any support groups for couples who have been through the same ordeal in your area. It might help to talk about your tragedy with others who have been through it.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:36 AM

Two of my cousins were stillborn.

Aiya. Sorry, bro. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if there are any support groups for couples who have been through the same ordeal in your area. It might help to talk about your tragedy with others who have been through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

there usually are. once this happens to you, you find out it happens a whole lot more than you would think. there are local support groups across the country that have people like us in this exact situation.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is the saddest post ever written on 2+2. I have goosebumps.

Sorry, man.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2006, 01:43 AM

I also shed a tear reading this. I'm deeply sorry for your loss. It is a blessing to have those friends and family there for you during this time, I wish you the best, bro.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:50 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My deepest sympathies