Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Did I play my aces in game incorrectly

Last night I was playing at a home type game that is in a condo clubhouse. $.50/$1.00 was the NL game.

I bought in for $40 and within 2o minutes was up to about $100. I have only been playing 3 months, but play all day. The game seemed very soft.

Here is the hand. I dont know how to post it like others do so I will just type it.

Guy in 3rd position raises to $3, a average raise at this table ($3-5 had been the norm). One caller, folds to me in SB. Look down I have pocket Aces. I come over the top and make it $15. I define my hand and am also trying to define theirs.

Original raiser calls, other person folds.

Flop- Qc,9s, 6c.

I bet about $20, thinking I will take it there or if he has a Queen I could make some money off of him.

He calls.

Turn- 8h

I take my time and look at the board. I didnt want him if he were on the flush draw to hit so I knew I needed to be big. Looking at the board, him having two pairs was not llkely, qx from the board wouldnt make sense for calling that large of a raise pre flop.

I decided to push in for my remainding $60 or so. I figured if he had pocket q's and flopped a set, oh well, but didnt figure two pairs were likely and didnt want to give him a flush or straight card.

He calls.

Turns over Jack 10 offsuit for the straight.

Okay, I was beat in the hand, but I dont feel like I could have played it any differently.

I could have gone all in preflop, but had zero action.

Did I play this right? I was sitting there thinking, I played it correctly, he called a large re raise with a medoicre hand that he shouldnt have even been involved with the flop, and was lucky to hit.

Am I wrong? j10 offsuit I would fold all but late pos and would never call if someone comes over the top for 15 big blinds

Also, I am a new member here, and look forward to getting a lot of help to my game here
Old 11-28-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Did I play my aces in game incorrectly

1) is this a joke post?

2) buying in for 40bb's is pretty lame imo

3) Yes his call pre is terrible, especially out of position. But, you made too small of a bet on the flop offering him 2.75:1 on his call. He basically knows that you have AA by your play and he knows that if he hits his str8 he's gonna get paid off (which you did).

He made a huge mistake pre, and you made one on the flop and then paid him off on the turn.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:03 PM

you played this fine on all streets. He made a bad call pf and on the flop and got lucky. This happens. In my experience in these games, folding overpairs on these flops is -ev
Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 PM

I woulda bet a little more on the flop though no more than 25.

This hand is so standard....your opponent made some bad play and got lucky. You don't ALWAYS win with AA.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM

skleice- no joke. I only bought in for 40bb because I have watched them play before and most will chase at horrible pot odds and suckout. Incase a hand like this happened.

I was thinking I should have bet more on the flop, but watching him play, even if I went all in, which would be the only move to make given my stack size vs the pot (would have to go all in on river), I am pretty sure he would call with a draw.

Guess I will just take this hand as a learning experience
Old 11-28-2007, 01:52 PM

If you have more money, you can make them pay more to suck out on you.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM

Micah - it sucks but the hand is pretty standard. I would bet more on the flop, and my gut told me J10 as soon as the turn hit. But it happens.
[ QUOTE ]
skleice- no joke. I only bought in for 40bb because I have watched them play before and most will chase at horrible pot odds and suckout. Incase a hand like this happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why you want to buy in with a full stack. If this guy is gonna keep making preflop calls like this and chasing his draws, he will be your personal ATM. You will get unlucky here and there, but you will stack him most of the time. I play in a home game much like this, and I always bring 100bb's plus a backup 100bbs. Yes, I have been outdrawn by some ridiculous holdings, but I am by far the big winner in the game. Be happy when they chase, cuz most of the time they are pissing money away...good luck.