Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 10:32 PM

Default AQ on the button vs raiser and caller; everyone bets the flop

Raiser is a 33/10/1.7 over 200 hands, coldcaller is 23/16/3.4 over 115. I'm wondering what my line should be on the flop. Also, should I be 3-betting this preflop? I planned to raise the flop.

5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) HandConverter Link

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero ???
Old 05-04-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Re: AQ on the button vs raiser and caller; everyone bets the flop

I 3-bet this preflop with position. Generally speaking, if I'm playing an A-high hand from the button, I'm going to be raising it...whether it's the initial raise, a 3-bet, or a cap (with AK). You've got position, so use it.

MP1's flop check/3-bet stinks to high heaven of a set, or at least top two. He's not doing that with KK/QQ, and I doubt he does it with AK (but you're still hurting if he does). So I think you can just let it go right there, and let someone else spend the money to call him down.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:39 AM

I think the play is a nice tight fold here on the flop. Imagine you are MP... it's bet / raise / cold-call to you... what hands do you 3-bet? Exactly. It seems very likely that you are behind, perhaps to several people, and you will:

a) have to face two more big bets at least to show down
b) have to dodge the huge number of cards that will beat you

That just doesn't sound like a winning combination. To make matters worse, your position relative to the raiser is awful. Do you really want to call a turn bet with the whole field behind you? Yikes. Never mind that you also don't close the action here on the flop either.

I started out unsure since the pot is so big,but the more I think about it, the clearer it becomes. Fold.

good luck.
Eric
Old 05-05-2006, 07:16 AM

Would anyone consider it too weak to fold pf. With a raiser and a cold caller,(and a limper), even if you 3 bet there is a very good chance at least one of the blinds plays and maybe the limper, so you are looking at a hand with probably 3 and maybe 4 opponents, and AQo doesn't play that well vs that many opponents