Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 08:16 AM

Default The Turn Check Raise (From Middle Limit HE by BC and JB)

I know most people on this forum are not overly enamored by Ciaffone's book but it does have lots of hand examples and presents a different style of play. This hand is the type where I am definitely having the most difficulty and believe I am making the poorest decisions in my poker. It is when I have been the aggressor (pf and flop) and haven't connected and get popped for a check raise on the turn. Particularly in a HU or steal situation, I think I have a tendency to want to always stay aggressive on the turn after betting pf and the flop, so that exposes me to a lot of check raises, and then it is hard to get away from the hand when it is HU. Here is the example:
You are on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and open with a raise. Only SB calls.
Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks and with 2 overs and a gutshot you bet and get called.
Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, you bet and SB check raises.
BC recommends folding here, saying that you have to severely discount your overcard outs. I would certainly call, thinking that my overcard outs are all pretty clean, that SB is c/ring with top pair J or semibluffing with FD . But a call here pretty much guarantees paying another bet on the river and it seems like too often, BC is right, and you end up against some crazy 2 pair like J4. Multi handed, I think this is a pretty easy fold, as SB is less likely to c/r 2 opponents, but HU (and in this case, a steal situation), I am much more likely to call down, but looking over my PT database, I seem to be losing more in these situations than I make. I know it is very read dependent, but to be honest, in most 5/10 or 10/20 games, a majority of the players are aggressive enough to c/r in this kind of situation without the 2 pair or set to make me feel like I need to call down. Maybe I'm just getting unlucky but I definitely feel like this is a weakness in my game. Would be interested in what people think.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:39 AM

Default Re: The Turn Check Raise (From Middle Limit HE by BC and JB)

I'd fold because my outs are severely discounted.
If opponent likes to semibluff or bluff CR, I check to spike an A, K, Q, call river UI, bet if checked to, and raise if I improve.

I frequently but don't always bet this turn, but if you do bet and get CRed and you don't hold any of the suits on the board with your AK, this makes it a fold if you get CRed.

This is one of those times where you believe you have a chance to have the best hand, but continuing will require you to put too many bets in such a mediocre situation making it not worth it to gamble in this situation.