Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2006, 03:22 AM

Default Is this preflop play in any books?

I'm fairly sure the preflop call is not advocated in SSH, MLH, ITH, or WLLH. I don't think it's in HEPFAP either... Does any book say that you should call a raise in the BB with any two suited in a mulitway pot? Why isn't this call suggested more often if it is correct?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Is this preflop play in any books?

hmm I may just be like way too tight in certain situations, of which this is one, lately I might even throw away Axs in this situation especially if the raiser is passive; as in his small PT sample size says he's passive, maybe I'm letting those stats influence my play negatively. I feel I multitable too much and am not thinking enough while playing, or maybe Im just being down cause I hit a downswing, thoughts?

to actually say something...
how bad is folding J8s, A3s, 86s in this spot ??
Old 04-17-2006, 12:09 AM

Default Re: 5/10 J6s

W,

It seems to me that we can only hope to beat the PFR's overcards as often as 75% of the time if we have at the very least a strong draw each time we do get it HU against those overcards. So won't we need to get it HU against the PFR virtually every time that we flop a decent draw, pair, or better, unless we're willing to check-raise with zip a large % of the time and can manage to take the pot down more than half the time even when we do have zip? I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see how we can hope to get p to where it needs to be. If you could elaborate on that a little bit I would appreciate it greatly.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 AM

How much do you lose by folding and how much by playing?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, those that are saying to fold pre-flop play wayyy too tight from the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriosuly. This is a super easy pre-flop call.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Check-raise the flop and reevaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-17-2006, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Over 131 instances, I was running at -.23BB/hand, FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you fold, you would be losing .5 BB per hand. I play here, and it looks like you save almost a quarter big bet by playing. Thanks.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do you lose by folding and how much by playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah oops I see. Although I don't understand why you would do the calculation this way instead of simply saying that you're investing 1sb into a 9sb pot and you need 11% equity & saving yourself the extra step at the end of having to compre your result with the "loss" from just folding.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:40 PM

I think c/r here as many have stated makes a lot of sense and probably what I would do. Where I have trouble is on the turn. If we don't fold out everyone but the pfr, I think we check fold pretty much anything other than a spade or J or 6. If we do get it HU, then a spade, we have to play, and i would lead out the turn. But what if the turn is non spade below ten, do you still lead out. What about a non spade J,Q, K, A, do we have to check/fold. I think in these kind of marginal hands, the flop is fairly straightforward, it's the turn play where I think I make more mistakes (and certainly more costly mistakes)
Old 04-17-2006, 07:53 PM

Even if we don't get the hand heads-up, we should plan on betting most turns in this situation. If it stays like 4-handed and the turn sucks, maybe we check, but we shouldn't plan on checking any significant portion of the time.