Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 PM

Default \"fives are new\"

what is the purpose of dealers announcing players' boards pairing in seven card stud? Is this standard everywhere or just at foxwoods?

tangential foxwoods lol: I had a floor recommend that I rathole when he moved me from a must move to the main game this weekend: "you don't really need that many chips." I laughed at him.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: \"fives are new\"

my guess would be to speed the game up since first to act in 7-stud is the high hand showing. Wouldn't you rather the dealer call it then have to wait each street when nobody acts or ppl act out of turn.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my guess would be to speed the game up since first to act in 7-stud is the high hand showing. Wouldn't you rather the dealer call it then have to wait each street when nobody acts or ppl act out of turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - "fives are high" accomplishes exactly what you're saying. Mentioning that the fives are new is not necessary.

2 - they don't just do it for the high hand. for example, player A pairs eights on fourth; dealers says "eights are new and high". On fifth player B pairs fives, dealers says "fives are new, eights are high". simply saying "eights are high" would seem to be enough in both fourth and fifth here if the only purpose is what you're suggesting.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:40 PM

Playing in AC this seems to be standard. My guess is it keeps the inevitable "what does he have" to a minimum. This is especially true since so many stud players have trouble seeing their own board...
Old 10-09-2006, 08:47 PM

It's just standard stud procedures - dealers are trained to announce pairs on board whether or not they are high. They are also trained to announce "possible flush" and "possible straight" when someone has four to it on board. This is common in AC and is just how the games are run.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just standard stud procedures - dealers are trained to announce pairs on board whether or not they are high. They are also trained to announce "possible flush" and "possible straight" when someone has four to it on board. This is common in AC and is just how the games are run.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibles are only announced in small games.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:59 PM

In Las Vegas, this is done in low-limit games. But, it stops at about 10-20.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:08 PM

I play 75-150 in AC pretty frequently. It's done in this game all the time and no one complains about it. In fact, people make a big stink if it isn't done in my experience. I don't really care either way though.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 75-150 in AC pretty frequently. It's done in this game all the time and no one complains about it. In fact, people make a big stink if it isn't done in my experience. I don't really care either way though.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I think any and all games in AC are probably played by "small game" rules. I know little about AC, but from what I have heard it is some sort of bizzaro world where nobody is familiar with how things are done in the rest of the world.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know little about AC, but from what I have heard it is some sort of bizzaro world where nobody is familiar with how things are done in the rest of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, they don't even kick you out for counting cards at blackjack! Heretics!