Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Sean Taylor Shot at Home

Whitlock recycles this piece over and over again whenever something like this happens. I don't disagree with his angle, but the issue is much more complicated than pretending it is all the black man's fault.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 AM

Another thing that bugged me tonight from the sports media was Inside The NFL continually playing the 'Sean Taylor was a super shady guy' angle. After the whole this was a real tragedy phase wears off I'm afraid he's really going to get thrown under the bus.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 AM

The only thing in the media that I have seen that is really bad is the ESPN bit that says his hit on Brian Mooreman tarnished the luster on his Probowl last year.

WTF. If Sean Taylor doesn't hit him its a first down, no in their right mind would bring that up as anything but positive.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing in the media that I have seen that is really bad is the ESPN bit that says his hit on Brian Mooreman tarnished the luster on his Probowl last year.

WTF. If Sean Taylor doesn't hit him its a first down, no in their right mind would bring that up as anything but positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't mooreman run up to taylor and pat him on the back after the hit too? I mean, wtf? I thought football was a "man's game" and that was a completely clean hit
Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rome's "your lifestyle determines your deathstyle" line was enough to make even Dids cringe.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is completely unnecessary and, really, unacceptable for anyone to say anything other than how sad this is. Let's not be so inconsiderate, people. Some of the comments in this thread are mind-boggling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it unacceptable to speculate as to *why* this happened?

Unless someone here knew Taylor personally, nobody who is posting has the slightest idea what kind of person he was. IMO who he was lies in the spectrum ranging from "Great guy" to "dirtbag" and I have precisely zero evidence of where to place him in that spectrum.

Millions of other people died that same day. Many of them were young and also had families.

"Never until the mankind making
Bird beast and flower
Fathering and all humbling darkness
Tells with silence the last light breaking
And the still hour
Is come of the sea tumbling in harness

And I must enter again the round
Zion of the water bead
And the synagogue of the ear of corn
Shall I let pray the shadow of a sound
Or sow my salt seed
In the least valley of sackcloth to mourn

The majesty and burning of the child's death.
I shall not murder
The mankind of her going with a grave truth
Nor blaspheme down the stations of the breath
With any further
Elegy of innocence and youth.

Deep with the first dead lies London's daughter,
Robed in the long friends,
The grains beyond age, the dark veins of her mother,
Secret by the unmourning water
Of the riding Thames.
After the first death, there is no other."

- "A Refusal to Mourn the Death, by Fire, of a Child in London" - Dylan Thomas

As Thomas suggests, falling all over ourselves to mourn here is nothing more than self-gratification.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Unless someone here knew Taylor personally, nobody who is posting has the slightest idea what kind of person he was. IMO who he was lies in the spectrum ranging from "Great guy" to "dirtbag" and I have precisely zero evidence of where to place him in that spectrum.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second paragraph applies to the first. The people in the media doing the speculating are generally asshats with degrees in sports journalism or something similarly worthless. Instead of Rachel Nichols pretending to be on CSI or Jim Rome playing the role of homicide detective, why not just leave it at "the investigation is ongoing" and show some respect for the deceased instead of speculating just for shock value.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rome's "your lifestyle determines your deathstyle" line was enough to make even Dids cringe.

[/ QUOTE ]

QTF.

Rome and Whitlock (who's bit here is predictable and tired) are idiots here. While I think people were probably a bit much in their praise of Taylor's character early on, trying to put any of the blame on him for this on him at this point is just stupid and insulting. From all reports it seems like Taylor might have been a guy who did some assholish things, but he's not gangbanger.

Seems like a part of this is just people generalizing Miami players. Which while unfair, is almost understandable given the image that the players in that program cultivated.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His piece was very interesting IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think a huge amount of what that guy says about the entire black community is nuts on. They need more leaders like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found Whitlock to be infinitely more insightful since he stopped writing for ESPN.

-McGee
Old 11-29-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The second paragraph applies to the first. The people in the media doing the speculating are generally asshats with degrees in sports journalism or something similarly worthless. Instead of Rachel Nichols pretending to be on CSI or Jim Rome playing the role of homicide detective, why not just leave it at "the investigation is ongoing" and show some respect for the deceased instead of speculating just for shock value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you. But the truth is, all the true crime shows on TV these days makes everybody want to be a sleuth. I mean, look at the whole Drew Peterson case. Is the Today Show helping by acting like lead investigator?

That being said, it's human nature to ask "wtf happened?", and to speculate. That's one thing the media gets paid to do. Feed on and profit from human nature.