Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Who here has let their poker game slide after a strong start?

El D's thread got me thinking and I realized that I haven't made a post in a strategy forum for at least 8 or 9 months. Anyone else find that they spend way too much time in the entertainment forums here when they used to be committed to talking strategy?

I found 2+2 late in 2004 and spent much of 2005 reading, posting, and learning from the microlimits forum. I built a roll from about $200 up to over $12K in one year, (half of that was from a 1st place finish in a pretty big $30 tourney) and was starting to really rely on poker income for a while.

In early 2006 I was beating $2/$4 limit at a 1-2 BB rate and decided that to advance to $3/$6 and beyond I needed to learn 6-max. Then 2 things happened - I discovered that I suck at 6-max and can't handle the increased variance emotionally, and I started spending a lot more time in OOT. 2006 turned out overall to be a breakeven year for me. It was a frustrating cycle of stepping up to 6-max, getting kicked around, going back to full ring, building back up, wash, rinse, repeat.

By the end of the year I was bored and burnt out with poker and pretty much had abandoned reading any strategy forums at all. I dabbled in NL turbos for a while with not much success, I started messing around with NL cash, PLO and HORSE tourneys.

Part of me wants to stop spending so much time in the OT forums and get back to learning how to advance my game, but with recent legislation and current uncertainty it seems like it might be a waste of time.

Anybody else find that after a long initial period of really studying the game and increasing their skills they've somewhat lost their focus and now spend the majority of their time in OOT, BBV, and the EDGD forums?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Who here has let their poker game slide after a strong start?

gtfo
Old 03-08-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gtfo

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I'm not a black guy.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gtfo

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I'm not a black guy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pics of W-2 plz.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:56 PM

I would imagine 80% of those who say "yes, I started strong and then let my game slide" don't know what variance is.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:03 PM

That's not what I mean, I'm not talking about fish who made some lucky money early and then the long run caught up with them. I mean someone who has over 100K hands in PT showing a reasonable winrate who no longer takes the game seriously.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not what I mean, I'm not talking about fish who made some lucky money early and then the long run caught up with them. I mean someone who has over 100K hands in PT showing a reasonable winrate who no longer takes the game seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me. But I'm having a small resurgence trying to learn NL, but having trouble putting in more than 1k hands/wk.

This probably needs to be moved to another forum.

DN
Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 PM

Fair enough, someone can move it or delete it if it's not appropriate for OOT. My intent wasn't really to discuss poker, it was to discuss the time wasting effect of the auxiliary forums here and see if anyone else had noticed a decline in their productivity after they started spending more time here.

Anyway, nothing to see here...carry on.

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2007, 10:36 PM

Yes. ME. I was doing fine reading strategy forums everyday for months on end, then one day some smart arse decided to mix LOL with BBV4Life.. I read, I laughed & I got hooked in. Now 99% of my time here is spent reading OOT, LOL & BBV4life.. occasionally writing a reply.. reading it over and then never posting it. In fact today might be one of those days.......
Old 03-09-2007, 03:20 PM

ME.

I came to 2+2 to read strategy, get mad good at poker, and live the Dream.

Now I try to find the most hilarious threads and my game is stuck in neutral. "Funny" is my crack.
Closed Thread