Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Default FT blind battle vs shaundeeb

Down to the last three in the UB $33 rebuy.

Blinds 5K/10K/500a

I sent an IM to my buddy when we went three-handed and told him the guy on the button in this hand had over half the chips but that deeb or I would be winning the tourney. In other words, I was not impressed.

As for other reads, I doubt shaundeeb knows who I am, but he's a smart kid so I can't be sure of what he knows. We played the entire tourney at different tables until the final table formed so his read on me is probably limited. I think I have been playing solid TAG with some LAG mixed in, but he might think differently. You'd need to ask him.

At this point, button has ~400K and folds.

I have ~260K and complete the SB with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Shaundeeb has ~360K and raises to 33K, I call. He had been raising a good % of the time when this happened, but not always so as to properly mix things up, surprise, surprise.

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, he bets 36K, I call.

Agree/disagree? Why?

Let me stop here and say comments on any part of the hand are always welcome, but anything along the lines of: open-fold preflop, call-fold preflop, and check-fold flop will be ignored unless a thoughtful explanation is included. Let's continue...

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

What's the plan? Why?

Later,
Che
Old 04-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: FT blind battle vs shaundeeb

just my thoughts so far I def had respect for your game 10 fold of other guy but I think calling the raise PF with this hand is bad. I act was giving a coaching lesson during the last 3 tables and I actually told my student before this hand that I was going to pot you PF with any2 because the last 2 BvB that happened you open completed I checked with some raggy cards and fired 2 barrels vs your Q4 on the 6QKKX board and you c/c both and the next BvB you open completed and half potted so I was not going to let you keep getting away with that OOP but you didn't know that. Also, I don't think I raised your complete up until this hand but I have raised the guys who are now knocked out who were on my right with a lot of shoves etc.

As for this hand I hate the c/c mode I am betting like nothing on the turn that I am not calling a shove with so c/shoving turn sucks cuz you are always getting it in behind. So I guess vs me I like a lead but the flop is where you need to make a move and c/shove the flop the stacks are very good for it and this board hits me like 5% of the time.

If you did c/c the flop lead the turn for a committing amount. If I had Q3+ I am not folding at any point but most of the time I have air here still.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:18 PM

Che,

I'm curious in a preflop explanation. 10-4 is complete trash and we're calling a raise oop? With 10-4 I'm raising occasionally to take the BB, folding most of the time and rarely ever completing let alone calling a raise.

But ok, we call the raise and the flop looks nice. My guess is Shaun stabs at tons of flops in this spot so I don't agree with just calling. I would c/r all-in with the flush draw expecting to get a fold the majority of the time and picking up a pretty nice sized pot. By just calling we're passing up a great opportunity. What were you planning on doing on the turn? Those are my thoughts. Let me know what you think.

-Zizz
Old 04-29-2007, 12:21 PM

Agree with kinda everything:

C/calling the flop is IMO pretty bad if you call with that junk PF. Don`t tell me you were waiting for a T42 board.

You can`t even check it down, cuz shaun`s J6O is highcarding you...

Calling PF is horrible IMO, even if you`re PA.
Crai is the only really option here. You might even have some clean overcard outs if he calls with 66-99 typisch hands.
As played, make a big bet or shove...it doesnt really matter.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:21 PM

Every line preflop is fine except for complete/call.

Edit: And the flop's an easy c/push.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Let me stop here and say comments on any part of the hand are always welcome, but anything along the lines of: open-fold preflop, call-fold preflop, and check-fold flop will be ignored unless a thoughtful explanation is included.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what kind of explanation you want for preflop. T4s is a bad hand and there's no way you're playing this profitably OOP unless you think that it's profitable to complete/call pre and c/push almost any flop.

If you think that's true, then you think villain's a nit.

And, it goes without saying that if you're calling with T4s here, shaun can exploit the hell out of you. FFS, most fish could exploit the hell out of you.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And, it goes without saying that if you're calling with T4s here, shaun can exploit the hell out of you. FFS, most fish could exploit the hell out of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup you need to adjust to what I know since you are an unknown to me and partial information is key after that Q4 BvB I knew you were completing your weakest hands and thus I will start raising you everytime I was quite suprised you called the PFR and even more shocked when you showed your hand, no offense but after that hand I assumed you were even weaker than the other guy who had CL.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Agree with Noah. Flop is definatly a check push since deeb will have air here so much more than the avg player, and stacks seem nice for it.

And, complete/calling preflop against a good player, with a hand that flops a flush draw (1/15 times?) and a stright draw something like (1/12) seems like spew.

Are my numbers right on what he flops/how often.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for this hand I hate the c/c mode I am betting like nothing on the turn that I am not calling a shove with so c/shoving turn sucks cuz you are always getting it in behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the whole reason I posted the hand. Your three most likely moves at this point are bluff/fold, value bet/call and check behind. Check-raise is the worst possible play against that combo, but I did not see it at the time which is a glaring error, but one that is often made. I hope others are helped by pointing it out.

Later,
Che
Old 04-29-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what kind of explanation you want for preflop. T4s is a bad hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want any preflop explanation, really, since I figured no one who give a decent explanation.

I'm a little surprised by the black and white nature of some of the replies to this thread. I guess that just shows that I haven't been posting much since the forum has always been that way on complicated issues now that I think about it.

T4s is 46% vs. a random hand and that's all shaun had even after raising my complete (which I expected in advance for reasons he has mentioned in his posts). What am I supposed to do 3-handed with the short stack and the strong opponent to my immediate left? Just play plain vanilla and hope the cards come save me?

I chose to set up a play for later but then actually hit more than I had hoped for on the turn (oesd + flush) and overthought the thing and messed it up. Granted, I could have had the pot on the flop if I used the standard line, but check-call and lead are both reasonable lines that can occasionally be used on the flop.

I played the flop suboptimally and then butchered the turn, but I posted it anyway bc I thought it would be instructive for some readers.

But the preflop play is fine. "T4s is a bad hand" is not a valid reason for not playing a HU pot, which is basically what you're doing BvB three-handed.

Later,
Che