Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: What would you do if you didn\'t need money?

Ireland - go to a music conservatory, pick up about 20 instruments and redheads, and start playing in trad. bands -

RB
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM

That's not real money........That's not rich.

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. $50....$100 million buddy. A player.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 AM

this is exactly what I would do....

Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 AM

I think it's interesting that you're you stated you were not concerned with what people would do for recreation. Part of the reason a lot of people on this forum (or at least myself) play poker for a living is because of the synergy it offers between life, recreation and work.

I don't think my life would be much different if I had hundreds of millions. I would do more traveling, have a nicer house and car, but beyond that, not much. I am still fairly new to poker (been playing nineteen months), so I think I'd probably keep trying to improve as a player and beat the biggest / toughest games.

If and when I succeeded at that I'm sure I would look for some new challenges. Maybe it would be completing a marathon in a certain time. Maybe it would be starting a business. Maybe it would just be trying to be a good parent and partner. Maybe I'd write a novel, or try and help kids work towards their goals (rather than saying you must follow path x to succeed), and keep an open mind about their futures.

It's a tough question, I guess you first need to assess what is most important to you. Love, achievement, money, social status etc.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:44 AM

i was actually thinking of making a post similar to this. i think i'd pursue my phd in philosophy. i just graduated from a top ivy league, but i have a decent amount of debt and my parents can't really support me, so, in the short term, i have no choice but to work/play poker to establish some sort of financial independence. i'm motivated by ideas and research, and i think a job as a professor/writer would be ideal for me. as it stands, the prospect of going to grad school for 7 years, deferring my student loans, and coming out with a degree that isn't too useful and that, best case scenario, offers me a starting salary of 50k/year is scary.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:48 AM

My life would pretty much be just recreation. Early on just doing a variety of different activities to see which i like most to do long term.

Sept: Go to Hawaii to do 2 weeks of kite surfing. Come home catch a lot of last minute gigs. Work out. Go about setting up a studio in my house.

Oct: Sky diving in South Africa for 2 weeks. A few safaris and drive around the country for a while.

Nov: Ski somewhere in Europe for the whole month seeing if i like the lifestyle.

Dec: Some hiking. Somewhere.

Pretty much just lots of things like this. In my downtime i'd need something creative and achievement driven to do. Make music, train for a marathon, take some degrees in subjects i enjoy etc. something that i need to push myself to achieve as w/o that i'd start getting depressed. Eventually once decided what i enjoy most out of all those use that to seek achievement, a goal to compete at kite surfing for example.

It's nice to realise my current life is close to this.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 AM

I'd pick a random subject like ancient Greek politics, read a bunch of books on it, rinse, repeat. Starting a business also sounds intriguing. I'd also have lots of time to stay in shape, so going to the gym 6/7 days a week would be about par. Basically, I'd pick something and try to get as good/knowledgeable as I possibly can at it, because I'm competitive like that. For some reason travel doesn't really interest me right now, possibly because I've done a fair amount already.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. $50....$100 million buddy. A player. Or nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 AM

I'll just take Jay's life, thx.