Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 01:02 PM

Default If i have anything to offer this forum, this may be it.

I've been playing poker for a little while now. Everyday is a learning experience that helps me grow a little as a poker player. One idea that was heavily discussed in this forum that has become, in my opinion, even more increasingly important is game selection. Limit Hold 'Em is a game where the money comes from the bad players' poor decision-making. As some of you may have noticed, I know that I certianly have, the games are not getting any softer. As LHE players we need to constantly examine "our edge" because in any type of gambling, your edge is where you make the money. Of course everyday we discuss many topics on how to improve your game. Let me give you a little hint on how to automatically increase your winrate: increase your game selection skills. A good game can make an average player look great, while a bad game can limit a good player's earn by eliminating some of his "edge". This is obvious, but what we must think about is how it affects us within the context of this forum. I propose that game selection at low limits is absolutely crucial because in a tight game your winrate is generally going to suffer. This is true at all limits. In small stakes, though, our winrate in terms of income means less in terms of gross revenue than that of a higher limit player. Which means that in a tight small stakes game, you are lucky to be playing for minimum wage(or less) if the game is not good. That sucks. So what to do? The fish won't find you, so you must find the fish. I know that alot of you are aware of this; this is for the noobs that may not yet understand the importance of what staying in good games can mean to your winrate and bankroll. Good luck everyone. If this is something you have not paid attention to, i suggest you start now. If it is something you are aware of but don't practice, it is going to become increasingly important. Mark my words. If not now, in the near future.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Re: If i have anything to offer this forum, this may be it.

Amen.

While the games are still amazing, it will be interesting to see just how long people deposit large sums of money into PartyPoker just to get squashed by a bunch of multitabling TAGs and skilled LAGs.

It's amazing how many mistakes I still make and come out way ahead. Table selection is really the sole reason for this result.

[ QUOTE ]
Loc: Effective 7/10: Semi-pro (gulp)

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Story?

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2006, 02:20 PM

i think the main three ingredients to winning play are game skill, table position & table selection. back in the day (before my time), there were very few real good players, and, the few real good players that existed were generally known by the other good players. today, there are (i'm sure) a ton of good players. yet somehow, i think their total number will always be limited by the number of existing prey. sometime back, on the "discovery" channel or some such, i saw a discussion of the math behind the number of predators (in this case, lions in africa). there can only be a certain ratio. if the ratio gets out of whack, nature will adjust things....poker is no different....
Old 07-10-2006, 02:37 PM

I admit I sit down at the first available table and stay too long. What screen do you use, (Party, mainly); from the limited stats they give on tables - % player / hand, avegage pot??? If the table you sit down on is not good, how long before you decide to move?

Smaller sites may have very limited selection. Do you just move to different site or wait and observe?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I admit I sit down at the first available table and stay too long. What screen do you use, (Party, mainly); from the limited stats they give on tables - % player / hand, avegage pot??? If the table you sit down on is not good, how long before you decide to move?

Smaller sites may have very limited selection. Do you just move to different site or wait and observe?

[/ QUOTE ]

online i play party only. i have a big database. i use it. if you are at a table of unknowns it takes a bit longer than PT simply importing. for me the biggest thing was accepting it was time to move and just do it. the big key is just keep moving around to find the best table possible. you can always rejoin a waiting list. and i fully endorse using the buddy list.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Loc: Effective 7/10: Semi-pro (gulp)

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Story?

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

effective today i play cash NL and tournaments for an income to help support my family. all live. i am lucky enough to have some super soft games in my backyard that i really have not been able to take advantage of since my third daughter was born. my wife sat me down one night last week(this was after we had discussed her working a couple nights a week as an RN to supplement our income)and convinced me to take a shot. she knows how i play, and she has seen the results i have had from playing over there coupled with the people i know(who can play)that regularly crush these games. so here we go. i would play limit but there really isn't even a limit game outside of 4/8 that runs over there, and the biggest fish moved to the NL anyway.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:28 PM

Hmmm so my "join first table available" table selection skills are @ party (and other sites) are -ev? :P
Old 07-10-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm so my "join first table available" table selection skills are @ party (and other sites) are -ev? :P

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily. it depends. maybe not the highest, though.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:41 PM

hey good posts, but would you offer some more advice as to HOW to select games? i know that game selection is often important, but i have NO CLUE how to find a good game at party where they don't list vpip% but only pot size and number of hands / hr.... O.o
Old 07-10-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
not -EV, but you likely are not maximizing your expectation.