Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Impact of Southern California Fires

Hi all, I am new to the realm of investing and greatly appreciate all of you experienced investors share with everyone. My question is, what sort of impact do you see these fires having? I realize that they are localized to Southern California, so does that make their impact fairly negligible?

For a more specific example, lets look at Oakley. They are located in Foothill Ranch, near one of the fires. Clearly they would have insurance to offset potential losses, but if their building is overrun by the fire, will/should that have any impact on them? I understand that they would be compensated for the actual lost inventory, but the (potential) losses could really harm their performance for the next several quarters, right? Does the potential of a fire in this instance, or any natural disaster, create a large inefficiency in their stock price?

Sorry for the long-winded questions and thanks for your input
Old 10-23-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Impact of Southern California Fires

It will have an impact, but most larger companies, especially in California earthquake zones, have disaster recovery plans and will be up and operational within a day.