Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Live 2/4

Why do you change the game when you play live? I don't have a lot of experience live of course but I remember wondering about this when I am reading 2+2ers posting live hands and playing them completely differently and so much more passively than they do online?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is true and preflop raises mean less live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider your average session. What is the approximate frequency that a hand is raised preflop? Once every 5 hands? Every 10 hands? Every other hand?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you change the game when you play live? I don't have a lot of experience live of course but I remember wondering about this when I am reading 2+2ers posting live hands and playing them completely differently and so much more passively than they do online?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has to do with how the other players play. In online games, players tend to be tight aggressive whereas in live games players tend to be loose passive. Since your opponents play differently, they are making different types of mistakes. Therefore, you must play differently to exploit the different types of mistakes.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Ok makes sense, so how do you exploit their loose passive mistakes generically speaking?

Its probably something logical like playing very tight and making value bets postflop but with A10 what draw are you looking for on the river to call the bet?

5 cards or 3? This is the confusing part for me.

I probably way off base but if its check/fold on the river if I miss my 5 outer{?}

Was there odds there to call the turn? Too tired to think of bets in the pot here.

TIA for the insight here.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 PM

I think it's a good fold and you could probably give it up on the turn as well. I assume live plays a lot like the lowest limits on most sites. People will overvalue their hands post-flop because they can't read the boards and don't understand basic hand reading, but pre-flop they know what good cards look like.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Well someone may be able to give you a better studied or more experienced answer to that. I'm guessing an average would be 15-20% of pots. But I see the incidence of raising preflop to be more player dependent and less hand selection dependent than it is on line. Some people seem to raise with hands like 55 from any position where others will limp AQ UTG. I would caution you that my impressions are not based on hundreds of hours or even multiple thousands of hands. I have only ~1500 hands of live play so I certainly haven't seen it all yet.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 PM

Meh. What were you drawing for?

"Old guy at a live game" = a) a regular, and b) risk-averse, to me. So, you called down all the way looking at 4 outs with little in the way of implied odds.

So, either fold the turn, or raise for a free showdown. I'd likely just fold, but I could see a free showdown raise if I had more than a general sense that the aggressor is a nit.

Edit: I had the positions wrong. You can't freecard him, per se, but donking the turn might have the same effect. Still, I'm check/folding the turn.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:30 AM

call the river
Old 09-19-2007, 05:35 AM

When I play loose live games like that I turbomuck ATo in this postition. This thread is the reason why...
Old 09-19-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I play loose live games like that I turbomuck ATo in this postition. This thread is the reason why...

Implied odds? What are those?

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp