Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 04:01 AM

Default 3 bet or call down?

Usually my SOP is to call down, but I feel like I'm missing value by not 3 betting these types of hands on relatively safe board textures. It burns me when they show up with a lesser king or something like 99.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero???
Old 09-19-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Re: 3 bet or call down?

It burns you more when they 3 bet you with a set or a straight or 2 pairs. It also burns you more when they fold 99 to your raise.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:46 AM

Oink, if you know they'll showdown super light, does a 3 bet/fold to a cap line have merit?

But I generally agree that we want to SD and not have to play any guessing games if they cap.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 AM

Folding would suck if he has a 2 pair hand.

If you cant fold to a cap and if he will cap his better hands then you need 67% eq to 3-bet. Figure out a range and see if you have that much eq. I doubt that you have.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:03 AM

If you had a read that he would c/r if he picked up a FD on the turn you might have marginal equity to 3-bet/call down. But since you don't even have pf-stats on him I guess no read about his turnplay is available. Just call down.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had a read that he would c/r if he picked up a FD on the turn you might have marginal equity to 3-bet/call down. But since you don't even have pf-stats on him I guess no read about his turnplay is available. Just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever he follows through by betting the river UI with his flush draw you gain nothing from raising the turn against that hand.

That said, since he wont always do that you can extract value from flush draws by raising. I just wanted to add that if he puts in a bet on the river with a busted draw then you dont have to raise the run to extract value from it
Old 09-19-2007, 07:31 AM

I think the last time I folded to a cap was like 2 years ago. I just call down from the turn check-raise. If he's making a play with 99, I wouldn't discourage him from betting the river. Or if he's trying to bluff or semibluff a flush draw, let him bet. This player may be check-raising light, but he also check-raises when he's got it. So 3-betting can get you into trouble. Also, he could fold to your 3-bet, giving up his bluff or smaller pair that he would have bet the river with had you just called.