Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 AM

Default How good/bad do I have it at my job?

Recent college graduate, been working for 1 full year, full time. Seeing as I have no frame of reference as to how good or bad I have it at my job, I thought I'd post what I do here and the crap I have to put up with, and whether or not I have it good or bad according to long time working veterans.

I will answer any questions anyone may have to help them in their decision.

I am 24 y/o, and make 30k a year before taxes. I pay 325$/month rent for a large place (i'm not new in this area in terms of renting).

After a pessimistic outlook on my budget and over-compensating for bills i have ~120$ in "spending" money left over for myself.

I live 5 minutes from work on a bad day, 3 minutes average driving time. I wake up at 7:30 am each morning, M-F. I get to work by 8am, leaving my house at 7:50.

I leave work at 4pm, sometimes earlier, depends if they have me drop submittal items off @ contractor's buildings.

I am a CAD drawer for a glass & glazing company, my work duties include interpreting architectural blueprints, pulling out necessary info & redrawing it.

I put up with "jerks" (project managers) who have inflated egos, and tend to talk down to me. For the most part i'm left alone all day in my own office, no door, but a window to the fabrication shop.

I see what I've drawn be built, which gives me a sense of accomplishment I suppose, but I have received zero raises in the time i've been here.

I have full medical, dental & eye care. I am supposed to have a retirement fund, but am being given the run around.

One project manager in particular dumps some of his work onto me, which he justifies to himself as OK because i "don't do much" in his eyes, but then again he takes 2 hour lunch breaks and gets drunk.

I take a 1 hour lunch, sometimes more because I drive home, cook lunch, sometimes have sex, and drive back.

-------------------

I have been given opportunities to send in resumes @ other companies, but weighing in that i would be working longer hours and saturdays for not much more pay, even though it has to do with my major, is not something i want to be doing.

So OOT, how bad do i have it? should i be looking for a job within my major/more money???

i have a BS in comp sci.

------------------

cliffs notes:: none.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: How good/bad do I have it at my job?

1) Telling us how much you make, but not where you live, makes it very difficult to judge your pay.

2) 325/month rent? Do you share or live in Costa Rica? I guess you have sex on lunch break, so gf?

3)I'm assuming you have no college loans?

4) Is there any room for progression in your job?

5) $120 in spending money is not a lot. It'll take you years just to save up enough for a decent vacation.

6) You work 8-4 with an hour break and no weekends, seems ideal.

7) What is the point of this thread? Thinly-veiled brag? Beat? Variance?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:46 AM

You'll put up with jerky managers anywhere unless you really luck out. If you can put up with this line of work, you have it decently well. If they don't start giving your raises soon, though, you'll have to start looking around more.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 AM

About a month before I quit my last job, my manager told me it wasn't her job to set expectations for me, and that she wasn't committed to my success. She called me a first grader. She told me I should check out another role in the company cause it might work for me, and then told the hiring manager I probably wouldn't be a good fit for it.

You've got it easy.

- C -
Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 AM

If you want a raise you usually have to ask for it.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 AM

this is absurdly awful

no retirement fund? wtf
Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 AM

You work only seven hours a day, only five days a week. That sounds like heaven to me.

Is it 2-D CAD work? $30k doesn't sound out of line for that position.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 AM

5 minute commute? holy [censored].

How is your rent is $325 and yet you only have $120 for spending money? What are you spending the rest of your money on? Also, is that $120 for the month of per pay period?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 AM

Are there opportunities for advancement? Are you taking the initiative to get noticed by those in charge of said advancement?

For an entry-level job, it sounds okay. At this point in your career, you are just learning. Your focus should be on amassing KSAs (knowledge, skills and abilities), not so much on salary. You want to be somewhere that allows for your development as a professional. The money will come as you become more valuable.

Oh, and you generally need to ask for a raise in order to get a raise.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is absurdly awful

no retirement fund? wtf

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone can open an IRA, so this definitely isn't the worst part about this job description.