Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2007, 06:10 PM

Default PNL Study Group Day 6: Position/Hand Reading/FIP

The threads not up by 6 PM, so I thought that I'd get it started.

No Limit is a game of information and manipulation, and position is the key to having the most of both of these. In position you get to see what your opponents do before you have to act, and have the most capability of taking the course of action that directs the flow of the hand in the direction you want it to take both on this round of betting and on subsequent rounds of betting. The ability to call, raise, or check behind lets you control the size of the pot. Bluffs and semi-bluffs become much more successful when you have a chance to see what your opponents want to do with their hands.

Basically, when in position I look for the course of action that will make the most out of my hand. Out of position I start looking for reasons to be out of the hand entirely.

EDIT FROM SUNNY: Thanks for posting this Sean - I guess Matt and I both have had busy days. Let's use this thread to discuss Position as well as the Hand Reading and Fundamentals In Practice chapters, and use it as a general wrap-up for the Fundamentals section before starting on REM in maybe like the middle of the week.