Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 01:21 PM

Default 4 PF Decisions

I apologize for the lack of formatting on these, but they were played live, with mostly unknowns, and they are only pf decisions. I feel I played some of these correctly, some of these incorrectly, and i'm just hoping to get some outside opinion.

1 - 7s9s

6 handed table, blinds at 40/80, 12 people remain, payout is 6. Table of relatively short stacks ranging from ~700-1000, all standard issue LP, with one short stack at about 300, and me at about 480. Short stack folds, then 3 limps. Sb folds leaving pot at 360. I look down at 7s9s. I check.

2 - AKo

7 handed table, blinds at 10/20, 30ish people remain, payout is 6. Semi-TAG w/ about 300 raises to 75 UTG. Big stack, extremely loose first time player ~1k calls. Semi-TAG w/ around 500 calls. I have AKo in the sb. BB is a huge stack w/ around 2500. I push.

3 - AQo

7 handed table, blinds 1/2 w/ extremly deep stacks, 40 people remain, payout is 6.
Extremely LP (limps w/ 28-KK) first time player w/~850 limps. Semi-Tag, makes it 7 to go (standard raise). Unkown w/ around 600 re-raises to 20. I see AQo and muck.

4 -44

6 handed table, blinds at 100/200, 12 players remain, payout is 6. I'm sitting UTG w/~900. Mini-stack on my immediate right w/~400. Avg stack at the table is ~1200. A few of the bigger stacked players who are in the blinds have tried to play sherriff w/ hands as weak as A9o & JTs. I have 44, think for a minute and muck.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: 4 PF Decisions

1-3 look pretty standard to me.

4 is a tough one. With not quite 5bb what little fold equity you have now will be gone after going thru the blinds. If you don't get a monster in the next orbit and at least double up you'll be as good as gone once you hit the blinds again. Based on your read it's extremely likely you'll get called by someone. If they have a pair you'll be crushed. If they don't you should be welcoming the coinflip since you need to get chips soon to have any chance at seeing a payday. I can't fault folding here. But bad as it could turn out think you've got to take the gamble to have any chance at remaining viable.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:41 PM

1-3 are good i think (you could cram one but youre always going to get looked up, i think its more profitable to take a flop).... 4 you should cram, and i dont think its very close.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:22 PM

i agree i would cram situation number 4.M is too low to muck.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:51 PM

I definitely jam hand 4 since you are in the blinds next hand.

I think I jam hand 1 as well since even if you get called you have decent equity against a handful of overlimped hands. You look uberstrong and people might be hesitant to look you up with the payout in sight.

Didn't catch your stack in hand 2; assuming it's not a huge overbet of the pot I like it.

hand 3 i muck quickly cause AQo plays like crap in a 3 bet pot with deep stacks.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the discussion. I'll elaborate a little more now on how I feel about the hands, but I didn't want my reads/feel dictate the original discussion.

1 - I feel I should have pushed here. I think the size of the bet would cut of any calls, but that is as much a decision based on my read more than anything. I think one of the posts outlined my reasoning for wanting to push when they said

"I think I jam hand 1 as well since even if you get called you have decent equity against a handful of overlimped hands. You look uberstrong and people might be hesitant to look you up with the payout in sight. "

I'm really not that big a dog against the potential call range of these players i.e. small pairs, weakest broadway hands, weak aces etc. I think with a potential to add 67% to my stack esp. given the number of people remaining, having fairly good fold equity and decent odds if called, this should have been a push. That's the math/strat side of it.

2 - Sorry about not adding stack size in. I had around 700 so it wasn't a vast overbet. I had no problem with this hand. I feel I played it just right.

3 - I don't feel bad about this muck either, but I do want to post the results, not b/c I changed my mind, but b/c the situation was interesting. Limper had AJ, first raiser KK, 2nd raiser TT. It got re-raised pf. Three calls. Flop came AA6 (and I am immediately glad I mucked it b/c I'm positive someone has AK) lots of action, all three see the turn. Turn is a 3, more action and the TT drops out. River is another 6 and I wince. It goes check check for some reason and that is the 2nd boat I saw the new player check down. But I like my fold, and as it turns out, I was up against two solid pairs, and one ace was even gone.

4 - This one actually bugs me the most. I really feel like I should have pushed, but I was afraid of getting multiple calls. I also figured that at least in the big blind, it would still be a preflop battle, but I'd be last to act preflop. I still feel like I should have pushed, but I think given the specific situation, i.e. position, and the fact that I'd probably get multiple calls, it was really a marginal situation, but I still should have pushed. As it was, I got lucky, got a walk on my big blind while holding KQ, won the pot out of the small blind, and then got busted on the button when I pushed KJ and the bb had AA.

Thanks again for all of the discussion, and I'd still be willing to keep talking about any of these situations.