Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Let\'s play AK OOP 25NL

So after getting pounded last night in my normal 6max minbet game, I decided to play some cheap NL. This hand came near the end of my session and I played it like a limidonk and had no plan at all for this hand!

So let's play it correctly shall we?

UTG+1 has only been at the table for one orbit.
Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $25.60
UTG+1: $24.75
MP1: $9.80

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, 5 folds.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($3.35, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2.5</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($8.35, 2 players)
<font color="blue">Hero?</font>

What is our plan?
if we bet, how much?
if we check, what do we plan to do if:
- villian checks behind and river is a brick?
- villian bets $1-$4?
- villian bets $5-$8?
- villian bets $9 - a push?
if we open fold, what do we write in the chat.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm assuming this hand is standard PF and flop... if not please say so.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Let\'s play AK OOP 25NL

I'm a limit player.

Now that that's out of the way, I play that same NL limit and have usually seen a better hand than mine in a spot like this (sometimes marginally better, often way better).

I'm either reacting to getting creamed or it really is the right play but I think I check here; there's only 1 real A hand you beat now and since he didn't reraise pf I don't think it's a worse A (at best). I would eval your call for a T which is really the only card I look to for help.

If he bets turn I'd probably to c-f anything other than a tiny river bet UI. If he checked turn I'd b-f river so probably 1/2 pot bet.

edit: I thought this was a 6m hand; I don't know anything about fr
Old 08-14-2007, 01:57 PM

What hands call raises in NL?

If the raiser and the caller have a deep-stack then pairs, suited connectors of all ranks from the better players. As the players get worse you see more things like unsuited broadways, Suited and unsuited ace-rags, etc.

So unlike limit you can't put the callers on Ace-broadways when they call a raise and therefore assume that AJ+, 22+ is the range of the callers. So although the QJ on the board are scary because of AQ, AJ, the possibilities of those aren't quite what they are in limit. A8 is just as common as AJ, AQ here (but is also a bad hand).

That said.. I think we exercise some pot control here on the turn. You have more than $20 behind and an $8 pot... if you bet and get raised you'll probably have to fold. That's not good simply because of the $$ you'd have left on the table.. it was expensive to find out you should fold.

If you check and get bet up to pot you can probably call.. but I might just go ahead and fold. I might call something about half pot or lower. The reason I'd say fold is not that I'd think you're behind, but reverse implied odds.

Your K outs are looking rather tainted so you're only hoping on the T's, and then really the non-[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T's because you won't make much money if the T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] drops.

Money in NL isn't made by having AK and flopping an A like in limit. It's made by bigger hands. I'm not terribly concerned about dropping an AK w/A on the board in NL.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:56 PM

grunch

against an unknown at this level, i really just want to value bet. i would bet about $6 here, which, if called, leaves us a psb behind if we decide to stick that in. it's also enough that something like a flush draw can't call profitably (getting only 2.33:1 immediate and 3.5:1 implied odds).