Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Hearing a word the first time in your life.

Unrelated: you know that flick Return of the Jedi?

There's a scene where Luke surrenders to Vader, and Vader collects Luke's lightsaber from the guards, checks it out and whatnot. Then they go off to see the Emperor.

When they arrive in the Emperor's (senselessly massive) throne room, the next thing you know the Emperor's holding Luke saber and commenting about it.

I caught myself thinking WTF, Luke and Vader just got there, how the f did the Emperor get possession of the lightsaber? I mentioned it to my friends (also SW fans), and they were confused also.

We had to watch the scene and... we're just dumb.

POW
Old 10-26-2007, 06:47 AM

It's confirmation bias, you just didn't notice it before, and now you are paying particular attention for it. You also don't recognise when you learn a new word and DON'T hear it lots of times shortly afterwards.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:12 AM

it's the same as green chevy syndrome - once you buy a green chevy, you suddenly start noticing green chevys everywhere.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
since i come from a biology background, i can tell you the effect is caused by pheromones

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
nice try, but I don't think that will attract aa to you more often, regardless of pheromones

[/ QUOTE ]

This is starting to freak me out. (Just kidding.)

Regardless of how it works, I guess I humor easier than most. Either that or most readers here simply have a more extensive vocabulary than I. (Not as likely to hear new words.)
Old 10-26-2007, 07:28 AM

Pheromones, confirmation bias, or green chevy syndrome - but, why does this happen. Why for x word and not y?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pheromones, confirmation bias, or green chevy syndrome - but, why does this happen. Why for x word and not y?

[/ QUOTE ]
It happens the same for both. That's what confirmation bias means, it's the same as green chevy syndrome.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It happens the same for both. That's what confirmation bias means, it's the same as green chevy syndrome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right – same thing. Still not why.

It happens with some words and not every new word I hear. Why are pheromones triggered for x word, yet not for y word.

This doesn’t happen with every new car I guy. Why green and not blue. Is it every time I buy a green car, but will not happen for blue?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because you now notice both of them more. you heard X so picked up on it, but like someone earlier said, if you learned new word Y but then didn't hear it used afterwards, you would not even notice that.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because you now notice both of them more. you heard X so picked up on it, but like someone earlier said, if you learned new word Y but then didn't hear it used afterwards, you would not even notice that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't I notice that I don't hear Y word right away?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 AM

I dunno how many times I can type in "confirmation bias". It acts in two ways, both because you have this association in your mind.

1. When you learn a new word and you hear it shortly after, you notice it. This is the confirmation.

2. When you learn a new word and you do NOT hear it shortly after, you do not notice this. This is the second instance of confirmation bias.

That is the mechanism. The guy who said "pherenomes" was being sarcastic, they have nothing to do with it.