Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Snoring: The lazy man\'s cure

[ QUOTE ]
My prediction: You need to lose weight, fatty. And stop drinking so much booze, you lush

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-27-2007, 01:50 PM

SoCal - You have Sleep Apnea and unless you get medical help you'll never get rid of the problem.

This is why you're rolling the dice with your life whenever you come to OOT to get medical advice.

There is nothing in the OPs post that indicates he has sleep apnea. What he is describing is a guy who snores. Period. Is it chronic? I don't know because he did not provide that information. Is is simply because he needs to drop some weight? I don't know that either. Is it sleep apnea? Not based on the info he provided.

Sleep apnea is much more dangerous than snoring. In fact apnea involved extended periods where you aren't snoring because you have stopped breathing. This happens repeatedly during sleep leading to short term problems with fatigue because of lack of good quality deep sleep and the long term risk of heart failure.

Jesus. The word apnea means "without breath" not "snores too much".

If you want help with your snoring or any other medical issue go to your doctor not OOT.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:54 PM

Wires,

Although saying "he has sleep apnea" is obviously too strong, I agree that it might be something he should look into further. Lots of people confusing apnea for snoring, or don't really get what it is.

All of this is only more reason to go to a doctor, who will likely send you to a sleep lab, and figure things out.

The "lazy man's cure" pretty much never works for anything. Except opening locked briefcases.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wires,

Although saying "he has sleep apnea" is obviously too strong, I agree that it might be something he should look into further.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not disagree with you at all and agree that if he has been snoring his entire life he should certainly get examined. Especially considering the solution could be simple and ultimately save him (and his wife/girlfriend) a lifetime of annoyance and discomfort.

My issue with the other poster was the definitive diagnosis when the information simply was not there.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:42 PM

for me, it took septoplasty (had a nasty deviated septum) and quitting smoking. Nothing else worked for me. I also sleep on my side...

...but I've never figured out why girlfriends are so against using earplugs.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 PM

This is lavender (sachets) by the yard. My wife and I have been using them for about a year now. They come in eight sachets sewn together and rolled up. We cut off 3 sachets a piece and put them in one of our pillows. It takes about 3 weeks or so for the effect to take hold but it is amazing.

I didn't believe it when I first heard it either, but I won't be without them now. We have gone through three rolls in the last year or so (at about $30 a roll.) The first roll I got from "The Discovery Channel Store." I don't remember where I got the next two rolls. The DCS was back ordered. I googled "lavender by the roll" to get these two images.

It hasn't completely stopped our snoring, but I very seldom am awakened by my wife's snoring anymore and vice versa.

It is also a good idea to stitch the end of the sachet where you cut them apart. After about 2 or 3 months the ends will fray, spilling lavender into you pillow cover and into you bed.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing in the OPs post that indicates he has sleep apnea. What he is describing is a guy who snores. Period. Is it chronic? I don't know because he did not provide that information. Is is simply because he needs to drop some weight? I don't know that either. Is it sleep apnea? Not based on the info he provided.

[/ QUOTE ]
When you snore, you're by definition breathing irregularly, unless your every normal waking breath results in you snoring. Regardless of whether it meets any clinical definition of apnea, less oxygen because of improper breathing isn't good for you.

[ QUOTE ]
This is why you're rolling the dice with your life whenever you come to OOT to get medical advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, Jesus Christ, it's not like we recommended a Do-It-Yourself Uvula Removal Kit. Lighten up. Get more sleep.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:56 AM

There are different types of snoring, different types require different treatments.

www.britishsnoring.co.uk shows you how to find out what type of snorer you are. (Nose snorer, mouth snorer, tounge snorer, Sleep Apnoea sufferer)