Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 12:09 AM

Default Stud/8: Trained Professional on a Closed Track; Do Not Attempt

I broke all sorts of rules on this one, but I was following the rules behind the rules when I did. Comments? (How insane was my fourth-street bet?)

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.67 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.33 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (9.33 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (12.33 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (14.33 BB)
Old 04-21-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Stud/8: Trained Professional on a Closed Track; Do Not Attempt

I love the bet on 4th with everyone catching a stinky 9 and you catching a suited baby. This can set up a bet on 5th to put big pressure on your opponents if you catch another baby (or club) on 5th.

The raise on 5th probably has your opponents really confused but I think it's good because the two guys behind you caught lousy again and you want to get it heads up. I'm not sure about the bet on 6th since your opponents probably have 4-card lows and won't be folding here and your need your Kings to improve. Clear bet on the river. He's got a pretty disjointed board and will likely pay you off with a baby two pair. Interesting hand.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:43 AM

You were the only one on 4th that didnt brick and you look good to them so why not try it? The raise on 5th, well, I can see it had a point but I dont think I would have done it. You obviously got lucky to get bailed out here.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:01 PM

I like the bet on fourth street if people will fold. Obviously, you're not looking for action. You were in this game and we weren't, but with everyone calling, I have the sense that you might have been able to guess that at least one of these guys would find a reason to call you. You were the bring-in after all.

I like your aggression for the rest of the hand. I'd probably check sixth myself.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:59 PM

Default What Was I Thinking???

I'm annotating this goofy hand to show what was going through my head at the time.

[ QUOTE ]
3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a complete non-starter of a hand. Hmm, three aces out. Maybe one of them has the case ace or some babies underneath and will raise so I don't have to waste any more attention on this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
4th Street - (2.67 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Three other players, and they all caught offsuit nines. I caught suited and small. There's three of them -- can I get all of them to fold? Both aces checked to me, let's try it.

[ QUOTE ]
5th Street - (3.33 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? All three of them called? Man, I love this game! Looky, I have a pair of kings. One of the aces caught low. A9J checks, A95 bets. His hand hasn't improved that much. Aces are dead, and he's been playing the hand weakly. He's got a wheel draw or something and wants to get the deadwood out. I don't like playing brick pairs against anyone showing an ace, but this seems like the right time to do it. Surprise! I raise!

[ QUOTE ]
6th Street - (9.33 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I lost one of them. WTF does Seat 8 have? 67 in the hole? Two small hearts? They both caught low, but not in a directly threatening way. Seat 6 is probably freerolling me. But if so, why is he checking to me? Is he insane? Wait, if he doesn't have a low, then he needs a free card as much as Seat 8. They're both drawing, they must pay. I bet.

[ QUOTE ]
River - (12.33 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (14.33 BB)

[/ QUOTE ]

I made my second pair. The guy showing three to a rough low with an ace checks to me again. My high is definitely better than his. Seat 8 might have made a straight or flush, so it's risky, but I think I win more than I lose by betting here.

--------------------------

The feedback I'm getting is that my sixth-street bet was a mistake. I'm allergic to giving free cards away to draws, but I'm coming to think that it's right to do so here. Nobody's folding, so the free card wouldn't be as catastrophic as it might. What's more, it's not clear to me that I have much more than 1/3 equity in the pot.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:14 AM

Default Re: What Was I Thinking???

[ QUOTE ]
The feedback I'm getting is that my sixth-street bet was a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked the 6th street bet. It's consistent with your thinking about the hand.

What really caught my attention was your 5th street bet. On 4th street it is obvious that you like littles or clubs, so when the Ks hits you raise. I can see SixSeat's eybrows shoot up, and then when EightSeat calls two cold I can see your eyebrows shoot up (mine did).

Very nicely played, but I think I'll take your advice and not try this at home. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]