Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-24-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re: NL 10 i go broke here ALOT

[ QUOTE ]
Opponet has a set here almost every time right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a set is the exception here. A lot of opponents at 10NL will play AQ and KQ this way. The important thing to know about 10NL is that while no one is fantastic, there is still a very wide variation in player ability. So I'd reraise to about $5 here, or else just go all in.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am glad we didnt see this is 10NL shove, comments. I def dont think you can fold this flop at all. I am also all for a large raise PF. By the looks of your name you are prob a sng player moving into some NL cash games. With the stacks being a little deeper we like to raise a little more PF for a number of reasons. As far as improving your results in this situation...you need to probably take better notes and know what your opposition is capable of. You should try and know if this player is going to raise on a flop like this with an AQ type hand, a draw, air, sets (a lot of players at 10NL would slowplay in this spot). I think knowing your opposition is the key to improving your results in spots like this because this is really one of those it depends situations. It depends on your opponents tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been advised in This Thread to raise more preflop and I thought a PSB would be sufficent. Could you outline the "Number of reasons" to raise more than PSB Preflop please?

Sugar Nut
Old 11-24-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am glad we didnt see this is 10NL shove, comments. I def dont think you can fold this flop at all. I am also all for a large raise PF. By the looks of your name you are prob a sng player moving into some NL cash games. With the stacks being a little deeper we like to raise a little more PF for a number of reasons. As far as improving your results in this situation...you need to probably take better notes and know what your opposition is capable of. You should try and know if this player is going to raise on a flop like this with an AQ type hand, a draw, air, sets (a lot of players at 10NL would slowplay in this spot). I think knowing your opposition is the key to improving your results in spots like this because this is really one of those it depends situations. It depends on your opponents tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been advised in This Thread to raise more preflop and I thought a PSB would be sufficent. Could you outline the "Number of reasons" to raise more than PSB Preflop please?

Sugar Nut

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the main reasons is to inflate the pots a little more to give us the ability to get all of the deeper stacks in the pot, but most of this is done post flop with our bet sizing. Another reason is the implied odds pf with these small raises. If I am in late pos and a weak TAG raises UTG to .3 (He prob has a big hand and will probably go broke with a big hand if I outflop him) and gets one caller, I can call with such a wide range of hands because I know if I get a favorable flop I can stack him off. Another reason is less multi-way pots (maybe not at uNL) which make decision making much easier.

Also taking from Pro No limit vol 1 SPRs and PRF size go hand in hand. If you have a hand that doesnt do well at a certain SPR you may want to make a different raise size to avoid a situation that is tough to play post flop. I am not the hugest fan of raising different sizes preflop, but I guess if you can isolate against certain players this is a valueable tool also. Search the forum for more discussion on this.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:30 PM

raise .4 pf

bet at least .6 on flop

reraise to 6, call shove
Old 11-24-2007, 08:47 PM

The good news is that there is nothing to suggest you are up against a set, and two pair is even unlikelier. Thus, you are probably against a worse pair, or a draw. The bad news is that whatever decision you make now, you must commit to a plan.

Your options here are a reraise of ~4, which commits you to grudgingly call a shove, or to call and lead a safe turn. Since you are way ahead of his range, and you will likely get called by worse pairs, and you benefit whether draws call incorrectly or fold, I advocate reraising.

With a better read on your opponent, or higher limits, You might be able to get away with folding to a shove because it's very unlikely to be a bluff, but at 10NL, I would commit to going AI if I 3bet.

Another option would be to call and check-raise or check call the turn, but I do not like these options because we are more likely to give a free card than sucker him/her in with a second place hand.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:13 PM

There is another simple reason to raise more pf: They will call. Try it, you will be amazed. When they like their hand, they are going to call for 3 more BBs pf. This is often true for NL25 too.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do usually play sng's and mtt's and i would push or raise very quickly in this spot in those but losing 100bb seems silly to me still with a pair. I'm not playing with scared money since i got 65 buy ins for this level. I'm Trying to stop thinking like a donkament player, its not easy.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Opponet has a set here almost every time right? ONly ten hands ive been at the table so no reads, but we both got a lot of money behind for felting just a pair right?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">SB ($2)</font>
BB ($14.95)
UTG ($11.15)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($9.60)</font>
MP1 ($10.60)
MP2 ($5.05)
<font color="#C00000">MP3 ($9)</font>
CO ($2.75)
Button ($2.05)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.30, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.45</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $1.5</font>, Hero ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Grrrrrrrunch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd raise it to .4 preflop. I'd also bet pot on the flop here. After he raises, I'd reraise to 5 and call a shove. You'll see draws, pocket pairs, and AQ/KQ a lot. (Actually, I think at 10NL, you'll probably see AQ/KQ more than anything. You may occasionally run into a set, but it's definitely +EV to get in here.