Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 11-21-2007, 03:38 PM

Default $11 NLTRN: AQo OOP, I hate these spots

I didn't have any great reads yet, but my opponent was unpredictable. I had a feeling that my opponent was floating me some postflop (when I was in position, he was calling my cbets, and I ended up having to fold a couple rivers after c-betting the flop w/ air). He would also do things like throw in big c/r or raises on scary boards, etc.

Anyways, I hate spots like this. What is my flop plan. Bet/fold? And if I get called, do I check/fold? The frustrating part is that if I cbet here and get called, I'm going to have to give it up probably, and I'll have invested something like 500 chips on this hand (and I'm worried that my opponent could be calling here w/ overcards or a weak draw).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t1315)
Button (t1685)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t90</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t270</font>, Button calls t180.

Flop: (t540) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 11-21-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: $11 NLTRN: AQo OOP, I hate these spots

LOL

At the same time you posted this, I made another post regarding this same situation. We ought to pay attention to both of the threads...
Old 11-21-2007, 03:52 PM

is it wrong to 3bet a little smaller preflop? i normally 3bet to 210, which makes postflop alot easier imo: continuation bet is cheaper, and you get alot more room to bluff on scare cards.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:21 PM

haha, yeah. I sat down and read your thread and couldn't believe we were talking about almost the same spot.

I've actually been pushing preflop in some spots like this, but my concern was that I was missing value.

EDIT: well not quite the same spot, but they're very similar.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:25 PM

It's very player dependant. Some guys just always give up to a cbet when they flop nothing. Some other guys "put you on AK" and try to float you off your hand. Shoving preflop, especially with AK is sth that should alwas be considered, especially against these floaty guys.
In this hand however, the stacks are too deep to shove this pf. Given your read, I might actually go ahead and c/f it, prolly make a delayed cbet in case he checks behind. It just sucks when he calls your cbet, bets sth like 1/4th pot on the turn and you have to fold.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:20 PM

Definitely don't push this flop...

This depends a lot on how the match has progressed so far. If i think he's reading me as laggy b/c im c betting so much, i dont have a problem check calling and then betting out on the turn with air.

i use this play fairly frequently when i think im percieved as too loose. throws some players for a loop.

also - pf raise could have def been around 200. would make u less committed.

also...what do we think about a probe bet here, kind of defensive, betting out about 1/3rd of the pot. he check raises, you can throw it away cheap. you win, or you take it away on the turn....

maybe.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:52 PM

probe bet would be a mistake against a possibley unpredictable unknown. apt to get punished by ATC
Old 11-21-2007, 10:54 PM

My opponent is the type to float me here (putting me on AK). So, I guess I just need to check-fold it. Although check-folding in this spot takes a lot of discipline (to keep me from going crazy).
Old 11-21-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
probe bet would be a mistake against a possibley unpredictable unknown. apt to get punished by ATC

[/ QUOTE ]

I like mattymayor line. Seems like hero has a big hand and is trying to induce a raise/wait for villain to catch up, and all that in a cheap fashion, while gives you the opportunity of improving on the turn + if an ace comes villain is even more apt to try to bluff you thinking your probe is like "i have jacks let me see if they still good" and then BOOM.