Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 06:17 PM

Default $6 NLTRN: Two river calls

Both of these hands were very tough decisions for me. Let me know what you think.

In the first hand my opponent loved to donkbet. He donked very frequently (probably in 2/3 of the hands where we saw a flop and I had raised preflop). Before this hand I had seen him bet the flop and turn with every opportunity (I hadn't yet called him on the turn, the one time I raised the turn he insta-folded). So I decided to call the flop and turn here, figuring he'd keep betting on the river. Then a scare care hits, and he pushes. This was a tough decision, and I decided that he could be bluffing enough to make this a call.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (2 handed)

BB (t1935)
Hero (t1065)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, BB calls t45.

Flop: (t150) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t90</font>, Hero calls t90.

Turn: (t330) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150.

River: (t630) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t780</font>, Hero calls t750 (All-In).

Final Pot: t2130

Second hand:

This was very early in the tournament. I didn't really have any reads other than he liked to limp and in one limped pot (I was OOP and checked PF), he checked the flop and turn before open pushing the river (into a 40 chip pot). Here I really didn't know how to react to his river shove. I mean he could obviously have a flush or a straight, but he could also have two pair, or even a slowplayed overpair that was scared of another club hitting. Is calling here okay?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed)

Button (t1580)
Hero (t1420)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t40</font>, Hero calls t20.

Flop: (t80) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t80) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, Button calls t60.

River: (t200) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t133</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1480</font>, Hero calls t1187 (All-In).

Final Pot: t2840
Old 11-10-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: $6 NLTRN: Two river calls

Hand 1, raise the turn. The final call is fine, IMO.

Hand 2. It makes not sense that he checked behind on the flop. With that said, I would probably do the same line.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:50 PM

I honestly am folding hand 2.

Against certain players that auto check draws behind on the flop you're going to want to check call so he can bluff on the river. Against the "A high checks down" player your line is fine, but I don't think I like this call at all.

In hindsight it is a 6, so maybe he's doing this enough with a bluff.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:58 PM

I do agree that hand 2 is a close. I hesitate to say anything concrete about it. Although there is a chance that you will see an AQ, it is still fairly close.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:21 PM

My thought on the river of hand 2 was that a flush or straight is often going to just raise the river in the hopes that I'd call. Of course a strong player might shove the river knowing I'd think that, but I'm not going to give my opponent in this hand that much credit.