Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
DesertCat:

I believe you switched those - Cabrera's range is subpar and Rowand's range is great.

Before the Yankees sign another CF, I'd like for that Damon deal to expire/come off the books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giambi and Pavano and Farnsworth come off the books next year.
Damon will be injured for 3/4 the season next year. Make the move now, take a small $$ hit, for a CF with Rowand out there.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to act as if the yankees can't put together a deal for a catcher is crazy....melky plus matsui (pay for alot of his deal) for a catcher could be one example

sign aaron rowand... our defense would be much improved

[/ QUOTE ]

Put together a list of catchers who will be better than Posada from 2008-2010. Off the top of my head, I can only think of four possibilities, and the Yankees have no chance of getting any of them for Cabrera and Matsui. Do you really give a [censored] if the Yankees give Posada $12M more than he's worth over the duration of his next contract?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
to act as if the yankees can't put together a deal for a catcher is crazy....melky plus matsui (pay for alot of his deal) for a catcher could be one example

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a catcher in mind? Someone who's defensive brilliance will make up for the lost offense?

2007 Catchers OPS
Posada .970
Martinez .879
Martin .843
Mauer .808
Varitek .787
McCann .772
Johjima .755
Zaun .752
Molina .731
Rodriquez .714
Pierzinski .712

Not that Posada will repeat his performance. But he's probably a decent bet to be over .800 next year. Maybe you keep Posada and find a catcher who can hit better than Molina to let Posada take more days off? And DH Posada more.

[ QUOTE ]

sign aaron rowand... our defense would be much improved

[/ QUOTE ]

Name Career OPS+ Range* Paycheck
Rowand 106 Subpar $4.3M
Cabrera 95 Great $0.4M

*(2007 RF9 CF)

So you think giving a 5 year $55M deal to Rowand and dumping Melky is going to improve the team? Is it because 23 year olds never improve and 30 year olds never decline?

[/ QUOTE ]

Desert..I assume online and others aren't looking at signing Rowand as replacing Melky...they want to replace Damon/Matsui. But that only makes sense if your rid the team of the cancer that is Giambi.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DesertCat:

I believe you switched those - Cabrera's range is subpar and Rowand's range is great.

Before the Yankees sign another CF, I'd like for that Damon deal to expire/come off the books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giambi and Pavano and Farnsworth come off the books next year.
Damon will be injured for 3/4 the season next year. Make the move now, take a small $$ hit, for a CF with Rowand out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rowand is going to decline - perhaps a lot.

The Yankees have a perfectly viable CF in Cabrera - he is a bad corner outfielder.

The Yanks might be able to get rid of one of Damon or Giambi, but not both. I don't think anyone will take on Giambi after this past season, and not many teams are looking for a light-hitting corner outfielder with no arm like Damon.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 PM

White Sox will trade A.J. Pierzynski for Melky Cabrera and Hideki Matsui. Ship it please.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:36 PM

anyone think the rangers will trade salty? or maybe the yankee minor league system can fix chris iannetta better than the rockies system?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DesertCat:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have access to any advanced defensive metrics so I used baseball ref's RF9 field. Rowand's RF9 for 2007 was 2.64 vs a league ave of 2.71. Melky's RF9 for centerfield was 3.02. I understand how rough these numbers are, advanced metrics may paint a totally different picture.

But that won't totally change my point. Melky is probably only a bit below league average in CF hitting. If his defense is decent, is it worth spending $11M per year more on Rowand? Rowand is likely to get worse, while Melky could still get better. They went down this path putting a ton of money into Damon and now they are stuck with a guy who can't hit well enough to play anything but center, but who they apparently feel can no longer play center.

Of course if Melky's defense is on par with Damons, you might as well play Damon for the extra offense.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 PM

This thread makes my head hurt
Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course if Melky's defense is on par with Damons, you might as well play Damon for the extra offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

melky's defense >>>> damon's defense for sure
Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NEW YORK (AP) - Mariano Rivera isn't happy that Joe Torre might be out as manager of the New York Yankees and said the team's decision will be factored into whether he returns.

"I don't feel good about it," Rivera said Wednesday, two days after the Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs. "I don't see why they're even thinking (about letting Torre go). I wish he's back, definitely. If you ask me what I would want, I want him back."

Rivera's contract also is expiring and he is eligible to become a free agent. He said whether Torre returns will help determine whether he remains with the Yankees.

"It might do a lot of it," he said. "I mean, I've been with Joe for so many years, and the kind of person he has been for me and for my teammates. It's been great. The thing is that I don't see why they have to put him in this position."

Rivera, who turns 38 next month, plans to speak with Torre soon. The pitcher, regarded by many as baseball's greatest closer, wanted to negotiate an extension during spring training, but the Yankees decided to delay talks until after the season. He made $10.5 million.

"I'm going to be open to hear all offers," said Rivera, who wants a multiyear contract. "The Yankees had the opportunity but didn't do nothing with it."

Asked if the Yankees would be his first choice regardless of the decision on Torre, he responded: "Right now, I can't tell you that."

[/ QUOTE ]