Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 09-20-2007, 12:11 AM

Default A Call

This is from fairly early on in a $5+.50 Sit-n-go. This is the first hand I saw the river on, and I don't really pay attention when I'm not in a hand, so I don't have any reads to speak of:

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level II (20/40), Ante 4, Bring-In 6 (converter)

Seat 1: 1,616
Seat 2: 1,654
Seat 3: 1,340
Hero: 1,399
Seat 5: 1,464
Seat 6: 1,666
Seat 7: 1,398
Seat 8: 1,463

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (6.60 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (4.30 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (4.30 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (4.30 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (6.30 BB)
Old 09-20-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: A Call

At Level II, may as well look him up. It's worth the 40 chips just to see what he played this hand with and heck, your pair of Fours might be good for half anyway. With the dead low cards and live diamonds I might expect a flush fairly often.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:20 AM

You missed a bet on 5th and 6th. Then you could have taken the free showdown on the river.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 AM

I understand why we would bet sixth street. In a low limit game with low fold equity what does betting fifth accomplish?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You missed a bet on 5th and 6th. Then you could have taken the free showdown on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the idea of betting 6th to try and take it down right there, but not so much 5th. Villain's playing his hand odd and if he called 4th he's calling 5th as well. Is he one of those guys who peels fourth after he bricks his low draw or is he going high? Hard for me to tell thus far, but I can tell Andy's hand is pretty stinky and his board isn't very scary either.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 AM

eh, he probably made a low, but he might even been bluffing with a better hand. i'd let this one go unless i was really curious.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is from fairly early on in a $5+.50 Sit-n-go.

[/ QUOTE ]

replying without reading so far: it's fine unless you should raise

okay, now I've read it: you missed a bunch of value bets
Old 09-20-2007, 01:58 AM

I almost bet sixth, and in hindsight I think I should have. I don't see the bet on fifth. I have crap, and I really don't see the other guy folding.

I thought the river call was at least vaguely interesting. I thought that it was overwhelmingly likely that the other guy was betting a rivered low, and that my puny pair was therefore good. I thought that he would check essentially any high hand that he might have made. It might not seem worthwhile to call for half of such a small pot with such a weak hand, but I think it's an easy call if you think about it.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost bet sixth, and in hindsight I think I should have. I don't see the bet on fifth. I have crap, and I really don't see the other guy folding.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your crap is beating his crap.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your crap is beating his crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how. I'm guessing he's either got a four-card low or a pair of Treys. I really doubt that he's folding the former, and he may not fold the latter, either. Both are a favorite against my crap.