Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 04:28 AM

Default 110 vs Ricestud (NLTRN)

If you saw this the first time it was posted, I somehow deleted the text when editing.

If you don't know who Rice is, he's one of the better 110 regulars. We don't normally sit against each other but we regged at the same time. He isn't tilting FYI.

The only notes I have on him have to do with the end game, but for simplicity's sake he calls a little lighter than I do OOP and is a little tighter OTB. We've both been very aggressive everytime we've played each other.

Hero (1900 chips)
Villain (1100 chips)

Blinds 10-20.

Hero raises to 60, villain calls.

Flop Ad8d6h.

Villain checks. Hero bets 80, villain flats.

Turn Ad8d6h .. 7c

Villain checks, Hero bets 175, villain calls.

River Ad8d6h7c .. Qd

Villain open shoves for 785.

What do you call with?

Not sure if Rice reads the forum, I think Indy mentioned talking to him before so he might.

I'll weigh in on my hand and thought process here if the thread gains any interest. And the results.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: 110 vs Ricestud (NLTRN)

well this is a huge 'it depends' hand. Since he is a reg he is probably capable of thinking on multiple levels.

Do you think his range is polarized into nuts/bluff, or does he read you for making hero calls and is doing this with 2 pair/straight also?

Either way I'm calling with any flush.

What this looks like is a flush draw, and he put you on an ace the whole way. It is possible that he floated you twice to bluff at the flush card, but for all he knows you could be semibluffing the FD.

He may also have AQ here given his line, which is why I'm calling any flush (and the odds i'm getting).

probably tossing most other holdings besides flushes, I might call with a straight too depending on how much bluffing I've seen with him.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 AM

hehe... I never got along w/ Rice too well, but I know he is capable of bluffing, and if I remember right he does it frequently, but as stated early, it really depends on how he sees you. I would call w/ 9 T or the flush here, and possible AQ or a set as well, but its a tough call w/ AQ, I think it should probably be tossed most times.

hrmm... after rethinking this I really think he would only be doing this with a flush.. my call is definently limited only to a flush or straight now, tossing all others, but post results, im interest to see, cause on initial thought after playing him I would call wider, but thinking about this, if he was playing his A game and putting thought into this, he should be shoving very tight here IMO
Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Maybe I'm crazy but the only thing that made sense to me here was some sort of a combo flush draw or another stubborn hand that he decided to turn into a bluff.

From a player this aggressive I should expect sets, two pairs, etc. to raise me most times on the flop or turn. I doubt he flat calls with AQ here twice on this board and then shoves.

My image is overall is probably aggressive, I'm not sure how tight or loose he reads me as, he's usually playing a few tables at once, I think he's only got one other table going this time. I don't get crazy and bluff him all out too often, I doubt in his mind he thinks I bluff here enough of a % to call me down super light, but I'd expect him to think I'm capable of a semi-bluff/bluff.

I didn't have the right hand to call with, but it got me thinking as to what I would do with an ace, or AK or even AQ for the two pair.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:54 PM

rice hangs out on pocketfives.com, not here...i used to be intimidated by him like 1 yr ago, but now that my game is more developed i slap him around like a child...For starters, he plays like 10 tables at a time...kinda makes him predictable to play against....
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM

He had 1 other table going during this match.

And not that he's super great or anything but I doubt anybody has a 60% edge on him in a turbo.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He had 1 other table going during this match.

And not that he's super great or anything but I doubt anybody has a 60% edge on him in a turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed....
Old 09-10-2007, 03:33 PM

Tough spot. I think he always has a flush or is bluffing, and never has anything in between (with the exception of 1 pair). The tough part is assinging a % to amount of bluffs v. amount of the time he has a flush, which is pretty hard to quantify. I don't think it matters much here if you have a pair of aces or a straight here. He could have a hand like 97, and then rep the flush when he misses. I think there are far more combos of hands that make a flush as opposed to weak hands or missed draws that could be bluffing, which lead me to fold most hands.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 PM

Against bad players, this is often a missed combo draw thats not a flush. I think of it like this. If he's the type of aggressive player who will shove the river when the flush hits, isn't he also the type of player who will raise at some point earlier in the hand? This isnt always the case, but probabilities are what we have to go on.

I'd probably call with two pair that contains an ace, maybe even just an ace if I'm running hot. But I am a call station...

Does he think you look him up light in general?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:40 AM

Maybe semi light but def not light, I probably fold a bit more than I should but I play very aggressive when I instigate in a hand. I doubt he even thinks I have worse than an ace here.