Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: NFL Pro-bowl plan

[ QUOTE ]
As a fan I like it. But it hurts the NFL's bottom line as Saturday presents a greater array of entertainment alternatives. The Super Bowl's coin comes largely from the "non-hardcore NFL fan" audience.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but don't you think that the Super Bowl would trump most of those entertainment options? For one Saturday night? Also, I think that the suggestion is more related to having the Sunday after to recover from the Super Bowl parties. No recovery time when the game is on Sunday. If the game is going to be two weeks after the championship games, there's really few reasons that the Super Bowl couldn't be on Saturday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I support it as a fan.

I really think you are underestimating how many non-sports/non-football fans who go to "Super bowl" parties on Sunday nights might have something better/more interesting to them on a Saturday. These non-sports/non-football fans are why the Super Bowl = mad coin.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Super Bowl's coin comes largely from the "non-hardcore NFL fan" audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is certainly true, I'm sure a fine argument can be made for a lot of that audience going to bed on Sunday because they have to work the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Super Bowl is already on Sunday and it already has a huge audience.

That there are people who are already not a part of the Super Bowl's Sunday audience because they prefer sleeping is of no consequence.

Are you arguing the ratings tail off to an appreciable degree later on in the Super Bowl because people start off watching but then bail and go to sleep and somehow having the SB on Saturday would 1) keep them (and everyone else who already watches the SB) and 2) encourage the early sleepers to not be early sleepers?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:11 PM

I like the idea of switching it to a saturday but that will never happen. Even if it's a really good idea, changing anything about the superbowl would be more of a risk that it's probably worth. It's just such a massive event right now why would anyone mess with it?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:35 PM

JR,

no, just playing devil's advocate. If NFL execs thought they could make more money by having it on Saturday, they would. I just know I'd personally prefer watching it on Saturday night.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 PM

A drawback is the lack of the Superbowl players. These are some of the biggest names in the game precisely because they are playing in the Super Bowl.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A drawback is the lack of the Superbowl players. These are some of the biggest names in the game precisely because they are playing in the Super Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]Sure, but it'll be on next week. Does anyone watch Pro Bowl now? I should think ratings and even coverage would be up a lot if it was week before SB.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then let them show their faces, maybe dress, but not play. Or play at their own (team's own) policy.

Cody
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 PM

I can't believe this many people give a rat's ass about the Pro Bowl.

I've never watched one, and can't imagine any enhancement that would tempt me to do so.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and they are getting to play in the biggest game of the year the following week
this can be the consolation game to the stars of the game that didnt make the bowl

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this idea
Old 09-06-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe this many people give a rat's ass about the Pro Bowl.

I've never watched one, and can't imagine any enhancement that would tempt me to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed out on Peyton Manning calling Vanderjagt a liquored up idiot kicker? That moment was a turning point in Peyton Manning's career.