Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 05:12 AM

Default qq utg full tilt 500k

i have been by far the most active player at the table, which started with 3 players sitting out. i've shown down quality hands, but gotten horribly unlucky. the big hit came in an incredible hand with KK in LP, where the big blind called my pfr, then check/called every street as the board came 55663. he had 68. yeah. oh, and i also lost to a chased gutty, paying off with two pair.

blinds 15/30
stacks:

bb: 4090. he was sitting out, but busted a shorty with kk vs ak on his "first hand"
me (utg) 2280
CO: 3200. nothing of note.

i open Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] utg to 80, CO raises to 285, BB calls, I call.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot 870)
BB checks, I check, CO bets 540, BB folds, I fold.

comments on both flop and preflop are welcome.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Re: qq utg full tilt 500k

I dont particularly like the small raise preflop(this early), but thats prolly just preference. As played i think ur fold is fine, though i wouldn't hate a shove either. (KK is a shove, and QQ is a fold)
Old 07-24-2007, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I Dont particularly like the small raise preflop, but thats prolly just preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

at 10/20 i make it 55
at 15/30 i make it 80
at 20/40 it's 110
at 25/50 it's 130.

thereafter, until the antes, it's 2.5x the bb. once antes show up, i figure out what works best. that's just how i roll.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I Dont particularly like the small raise preflop, but thats prolly just preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

at 10/20 i make it 55
at 15/30 i make it 80
at 20/40 it's 110
at 25/50 it's 130.

thereafter, until the antes, it's 2.5x the bb. once antes show up, i figure out what works best. that's just how i roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

My raising amount depends on the amount of BBs in play, when were deep, then i do a full 3x or 3.5x, when were shallow then i do 2.3-3x.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:29 AM

Looks good, and PFR size is fine.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 AM

So you didn't re-raise preflop because you think there is sufficient chance CO has AA-KK? Once you call the multiway pot you are pretty much playing your ladies for set value. (Which is consistent with how you played the flop, and is fine imho.)

I dunno... I'd be tempted to make a big re-raise preflop, willing to go broke against AA-KK in that spot, since I also see players early in donkaments who make that preflop raise often enough with AQ+ and 99-JJ. Maybe too reckless?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:42 PM

Blue,

He didn't reraise preflop because he figured he'd let his opponent get away from worse hands, and stick in a lot more money with better ones.

Just because he called preflop doesn't mean he is only playing for set value. This is a flop were my default is to shove. If he only calls you with JJ+ you are still near 40% equity. And when he folds you are picking up quite a few chips.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM

I wasn't really sold on folding here at first - but with this flop, either villain has exactly JJ (which we beat), KK+ or AK and makes a bold (or bad, all depending) bluff. I hate putting villains on air in situations like this, especially since he might do another barrel on the turn. Am I the only one who thinks it's not an auto-fold though?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blue,

He didn't reraise preflop because he figured he'd let his opponent get away from worse hands, and stick in a lot more money with better ones.

Just because he called preflop doesn't mean he is only playing for set value. This is a flop were my default is to shove. If he only calls you with JJ+ you are still near 40% equity. And when he folds you are picking up quite a few chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's going to call, check the flop, then fold to this bet I think OP was def playing for set value, which sounds like a good decision to me. Normally I might play back at the raiser to gain info, but the BB calling kind of messes things up without stacks being deeper.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's going to call, check the flop, then fold to this bet I think OP was def playing for set value, which sounds like a good decision to me. Normally I might play back at the raiser to gain info, but the BB calling kind of messes things up without stacks being deeper.

[/ QUOTE ]
He wasn't playing for set value, the flop is just pretty bad. How exactly can you play back at the raiser to gain info without committing your stack? Or did you mean preflop (not that that is much better)?