Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Old 07-16-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: To everyone bashing Pokernews

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PokerNews has done a great job. What are you guys talking about? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting your updates?

How much are you paying for your updates?

When volunteer reporters get 99%+ of things right and make corrections when we point them out, and encourage us to point them out, and try their best to be as fast as possible with the results, an honest person has to say they are doing a great job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you thought I was being sarcastic or something, but I wasn't. I've been reading PN obsessively during the ME and the coverage is excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I misread your post. But what I said does apply to all the complainers out there.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:15 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

pokernews has been awesome so far imo. i jst wish the uploaded pics were higher rez.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PokerNews has done a great job. What are you guys talking about? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting your updates?

How much are you paying for your updates?

When volunteer reporters get 99%+ of things right and make corrections when we point them out, and encourage us to point them out, and try their best to be as fast as possible with the results, an honest person has to say they are doing a great job.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that they are doing a great job and have no idea why ppl are complaining... but come on. they are doing this to:

1. build their brandname
2. sell adspace on their website

are they really volunteers? how do you get this?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:31 AM

I think the coverage has been terrific. It's never going to be perfect, but as long as they're not charging me to read the updates I'll keep clicking F5.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 AM

Anyone with any professional media experience (print, radio, TV, web) will understand how enormously difficult it must be to cover this event.

Mistakes are absolutely unavoidable in such chaotic conditions, and IMO PN's coverage is at least a B+ from that perspective. The pics issue is odd and does knock them down a bit, but there could be a reasons for this that we are unaware of.

Overall, probably as good a job as it's possible to do.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Pokernews is FAR better than Cardplayer coverage ever was ...

It is enormously difficult to cover a live event, especially when you are the ugly stepchild pushed around by ESPN.

Pokernews has done pretty well on the interviews I have seen. Thei chip coverage and updates could stand some improvement, however, the playing field within the torunament area is problematic at best.

Overall, I would give them a B grade, with room for improvement. .... To put it into perspective, I would rate ESPN last year at a C +. Last year's Cardplayer coverage rated a C - at best.

However, PokerNews has NOT tried to manufacture news about its owners or screwed around with coverage to get its faces on the news.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Pokernews is FAR better than Cardplayer coverage ever was ...

Given how difficult a job it must be, especially with the similar chip colours I think the coverage has been excellent.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 AM

I think Pokernews is doing a very good job.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 AM

It really doesn't matter how bad CP was. Pokernews still is making some pretty basic mistakes. I think we all have some understanding of how hard this event is to cover. That means that we should accept that things will be slow, and that sometimes a hand won't be accurate.

The mistakes that are not acceptable are the dropped zeros on chipcounts, incorrect bust out notifications. Stuff that should be caught if people were doing some basic journalism 101 editing.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 AM

I don't think they are volunteers; a lady I played poker with said that her son was a chip counter for them and he got paid $125/Day.