Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 05-07-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Probably stupid baseball hypothetical...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How hard would a fastball have to be to be more or less unhittable without movement and only average location (ie some pitches on the corners but some catch a lot of the plate).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty good physics question, actually. I would assume that it would have to be fairly high, considering if all you saw as a batter was a 105 mph fastball on the plate, you could do pretty well.

I'm a random 23 year old guy that can easily destroy 90 mph batting practice fastballs in the cages, so I have no real idea from an anecdotal standpoint on how fast it would have to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

90 mph? No friging way if you are a "random" guy, did you at least play HS baseball or something of that sort? Or at least you are a very good athlete, I don't even know where you are hitting at batting cages that go 90mph (pretty sure most public ones top out at 75).

He's probably out of the league now but I'm pretty sure Billy Koch used to hit over 105 on the radar gun and he was an effective closer for a couple of years. Not sure what the upper bounds of arm strength are, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Billy Koch would top out at 100-101, nowhere near 105. Zumaya reportedly hit 103, as did a lefty who used to be in the Giants organization named Eric Threets. Jason Neighborgall has hit as high as 102, but doesn't really have the requisite "accuracy". Sidd Finch was an April Fools Day hoax created by Sports Illustrated
Old 05-07-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
koch and his family got osme weird disease where bugs or some weird [censored] are coming out of pores in their body

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to look it up to figure out what the hell you were talking about. Apparently he has Morgellons Disease which is a condition where the person feels like bugs are crawling under their skin. Crazy.

"Most individuals with this disease report disturbing symptoms such as crawling, stinging and biting sensations, as well as non-healing skin lesions which are associated with highly unusual structures. These structures can be described as fiber-like or filamentous, and they are the most striking and least understood aspect of this disease. In addition, many sufferers also report symptoms of disabling fatigue, severe mental confusion, short term memory loss, joint pain, sharp decline in vision, and serious neurological disorders."
Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
koch and his family got osme weird disease where bugs or some weird [censored] are coming out of pores in their body

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to look it up to figure out what the hell you were talking about. Apparently he has Morgellons Disease which is a condition where the person feels like bugs are crawling under their skin. Crazy.

"Most individuals with this disease report disturbing symptoms such as crawling, stinging and biting sensations, as well as non-healing skin lesions which are associated with highly unusual structures. These structures can be described as fiber-like or filamentous, and they are the most striking and least understood aspect of this disease. In addition, many sufferers also report symptoms of disabling fatigue, severe mental confusion, short term memory loss, joint pain, sharp decline in vision, and serious neurological disorders."

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get confused, no independent researcher has ever been able to confirm this disease is anything but psychosomatic. If you read the talk page on the wiki article, anyone who has ever found it to be a "real" disease is associated with the Morgellon's foundation.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, it's possible, I guess. Bob Feller was probably the hardest thrower in all of baseball, but without radar guns of today, it's impossible to tell. Nolan Ryan could throw 102-103 mph (reportedly verifiable readings, unlike many numbers today thought to be the result of juiced speed guns), and with knowledge of nutrition and physical fitness always improving (along with technology and medicine), it seems possible to hit 105-110 within our lifetimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Abbott: Cleveland Indians, huh? Feller pitching?

Costello: Certainly there's a feller pitching. What do you think they'd use, a girl?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, it's possible, I guess. Bob Feller was probably the hardest thrower in all of baseball, but without radar guns of today, it's impossible to tell. Nolan Ryan could throw 102-103 mph (reportedly verifiable readings, unlike many numbers today thought to be the result of juiced speed guns), and with knowledge of nutrition and physical fitness always improving (along with technology and medicine), it seems possible to hit 105-110 within our lifetimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hardest "officially" recorded pitch of Nolan Ryan's was 100.9 MPH. For Bob Feller it was 98.6--he was the first pitcher clocked.

The probable hardest thrower of all time never pitched above AAA: Steve Dalkowski.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why wouldn't it be possible?

I would think that with ever increasing strength training, we haven't come close to the peak pitcher velocity

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not true. Their are alot of limits cause by the anatomy of the human arm. Throwing 120 would most likely cause serious injury.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:11 AM

Thanks for the Dalkowski link.
Knew quite a bit about him but lots in there I didn't know too.

"During a game at Kingsport on August 31, 1957, Dalkowski struck out 24 Bluefield hitters in a single minor league game, yet lost 8-4. He had issued 18 walks, hit four batters, and threw six wild pitches."

Wow. Just insane.
Can I travel back in time and sit in the stands for this game please?
K, thx.

"during a typical season in 1960, while pitching in the California League, Dalkowski struck out 262 batters and walked 262 in 170 innings."

Wow again.
This is just ridiculous.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would think that with ever increasing strength training, we haven't come close to the peak pitcher velocity

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not true. Their are alot of limits cause by the anatomy of the human arm. Throwing 120 would most likely cause serious injury.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. From everything I've read, anything above the 100/101ish range is damaging, and 105ish is about the fastest possible given human anatomy.

However, that doesn't take into account future medical advancements. Imagine pitchers having ligament replacement to make their ligaments stronger than steel or some such crazy stuff like that. So really who knows just how fast people will eventually be able to throw a baseball (even if such medical advances are barred from MLB).
Old 05-07-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hardest "officially" recorded pitch of Nolan Ryan's was 100.9 MPH. For Bob Feller it was 98.6--he was the first pitcher clocked.

The probable hardest thrower of all time never pitched above AAA: Steve Dalkowski.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, based on the technology available it is unlikely that Feller's hardest fastball was actually 98.6.

I totally forgot about Dalkowski, by the way. I change my opinion - it was probably him.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of possible future advancements in medical science that may yet lift these barriers, too.