Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 05-06-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Personality and overall attractiveness

I don't understand how anyone could think this makes a girl less attractive. Again, that's not the point but it is sort of baffling. She's obviously laid back and likes to have fun. That is a big plus for me.

Larry, I have no idea what you're talking about. If you think personality is a big deal in saying "she's a 5" or "she's a 7" then fine. I think most guys feel differently but I don't think I should have to point out that no trend is 100% right. As far as why there shouldn't be a "bump-down" I don't really know how to answer that. I never said there shouldn't be and I don't really have an opinion on it. I just said there usually isn't. Whether that "should" be the case or that's a "bad" thing I don't know or care.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:16 PM

pretty fun song too, goot choice. If she'd gone for emo she'd be -10.

Personality does increase one's overall attractiveness.

Personality alone will not bag someone though, if you look like your face is melting and your body has been inflated with a bike pump.

I think i probably weight it looks>personality. So a 10 with a 0 personality is 6.67, a 6 with a 9 personality is a 7.5; i'd pick the latter for a relationship (obv 1st for a quickie).
Old 05-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Good personality = upgrade in appeal but the video makes me want to walk into that office and just start randomly beating the [censored] out of the people there with a wiffle ball bat.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard countless times from girls "I don't think xyz is hot because he/she is an a-hole."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is much different for either gender, it is just that women don't admit that they find as*holes attractive whereas men don't care.

Maybe some of this has to do w/ social perception, women want to be thought of as pursued by the kind and charming man but we all know that women get laid by both them and the as*hole of equal attractiveness. Many encounters are only surface level but some women are very self-conscious about how they are perceived. This is just a thought.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:26 PM

If you don't think that looks like just about the coolest place in the world to work I think we have very different world views. Regardless, pick some chick who's doing something you like. If you think cutting your wrists is a good time then pretend she's doing that I guess.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:28 PM

dumb question because there is a difference between a girls hotness and how attracted you are to her. The way you look at it is as if they are the same. I understand what your attempting to say but your answer is obvious; personality can make you more attracted to somebody, but it dosnt increase their hotness.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:39 PM

Good post Evan, I think you are hitting on a few key interesting social issues at play here.

I think we can all agree that guys are more visual when looking for a mate, whereas girls are more geared towards personality, charm, charisma. Now when a guy says "that bitch is hot, but she is a total bitch" he is actively analyzing and separating out those facets. He might even say something like "i would love to have hateful sex with her" because guys love expansion and conquering new territories. He wouldn't want to have a long term relationship with her because he knows she has a horrid personality, but he would love to put her "hot body" as a notch on his belt.

A girl, on the other hand, doesn't have this inclination to conquer and expand and get notches on her belt. She's not going to try to have sex with a guy just because he is hot, although she might spark up a conversation with him if he catches her eye. It is going to take a combination of things usually for her to have sex and especially to have a relationship with this guy. This partially comes from the knowledge that many guys are simply looking for notches and also from the fact that she is sexually attracted to a guy with a certain charisma moreso than a guy with just a certain physique. I also think girls have a harder time analyzing their emotions and thoughts. When she meets a "hot" guy with a horrid personality, she has little sexual attraction to him, and therefore he isn't "hot" to her. A guy meeting a hot bitch with a godawful personality is still going to want to have sex with her, thus she is still "hot" to him.

Now if you are like me (and that would make you quite weird) then a girl's personality increases or decreases her sexual attractiveness to you. I think you are like this from your OP, but many (most?) guys aren't. Of course there is a limit, and a 3 isn't going to become a 9 hardly ever, but a 6 or 7 can often become a 10 if she is sweet and charming, or fun or weird (I like weird girls) or whatever type of personality you tend to be attracted to.

In conclusion, people vary wildly on what looks and personalities they find attractive, and how much each of those factors (for some people looks >>>>>> personality, for some the other way around, for some it is about even). So you are going to get a lot of disagreements on this issue because people really are unique and have their own little quirks about what they like and dislike, just like how many girls get wildly varying "ratings" from different guys on this forum.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:45 PM

One interesting thing I think is to think about the girl's personality less in terms of what she's actually like and more in terms of something like this video where you see a small snipet of her doing whatever.

Another example might be seeing some decent chick at a bar and then seeing her sing a kareoke song and laugh at herself. Or maybe seeing her go play beer pong and high five her partner. Just some small, totally insignificant act that gives you a hint of what she's like before you know her.

Obviously I don't know a damn thing about the girl in the video. Maybe she's an idiot and a bitch. But based on this little clip my first impression of her goes way up.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:52 PM

what i would say it boils down to is that women seem not to be aroused visually to the same extent that men are, whether that's brain chemistry or socialization or something else at work. it's not that they aren't aroused by appearances, but it's just not the same as for a dude.

i don't really use the whole numerical rating scale, but to me, when personality has an effect on hotness, it is almost always in an upward direction. if a girl is somewhat physically attractive and has a great personality, it makes me want her more. if she's already hot and is an insufferable bitch, it just makes me want to fk her violently and not call her.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't think that looks like just about the coolest place in the world to work I think we have very different world views. Regardless, pick some chick who's doing something you like. If you think cutting your wrists is a good time then pretend she's doing that I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry Diller is just off camera eating babies.

scrub