Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-01-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Should I care which CableModem I buy?

I'm replacing my cable-modem, and the descriptions are full of trivial information ("100 times faster than dial-up!" "Connects through your television cable!"). Reading reviews, most people seem to be reviewing their ISP. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

At this point I'm just choosing a modem based on asthetics. (Gotta match your modem's colors with the router. Duh.) What else should I care about when choosing a modem?
-Sam

P.S. My normal in-depth review sites come up blank, too. Tom's Hardware has a Top 5 list, but that seems to be based just on sales. (Yuk.)
Old 12-01-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Should I care which CableModem I buy?

I used to have a RCA modem that I received for free...and it had many problems. Adelphia (my provider at the time) kept telling me that it's the one I had to use.

I knew this wasn't true, so I went and bought the Linksys router and stacked it on my Linksys Vonage Router and my Linksys Wireless G router for a cool looking stack of blue/black boxes...lol

Doesn't really matter all too much as far as I know (like speeds), but I would recommend the Linksys one because 1.it's made by Cisco, and 2.i've never had a problem with it and it's been ub3r f@5t
Old 12-01-2006, 02:22 PM

i have a motorola something or other that my ISP gave me. if you'd like (i'm at work now) i'll post it later when i get home. i haven't had any problems with it.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a motorola something or other that my ISP gave me. if you'd like (i'm at work now) i'll post it later when i get home. i haven't had any problems with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably a good ol' surfboard
Old 12-01-2006, 07:11 PM

I bought a Motorolla and have had no problems (using along with a Belkin router). Cable guy told me that it was the best modem available (about 2 years ago) for whatever that is worth. Haven't used any others, so don't know if they are better or worse, but the Motorolla has been problem free.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:42 PM

Check with your cable company. Mine got fried by lightning and the cable company sold me one for the same price as Best Buy but with a one-year instead of 90-day warranty.