Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 11-30-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: 68s monster pot

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pls limp pf
pls fold the flop
river is fine

[/ QUOTE ]

he actually does have odds for his back door flush

[/ QUOTE ]

and a weak bd straight draw. i def. peel. i def. limp pf. you think a table with 5 limpers to you in the CO needs to be juiced up? normally, i'd raise no less than 89s there.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
normally, i'd raise no less than 89s there.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

lol? nice response. well thought out.

so you dispute that we have an equity edge in the CO with 89s versus 5 bad, loose live limpers? so you dispute that it's not worth buying the button for the extra sb pf? and possible get a free card on the flop?

i'm not sure because all i read was "lol".
Old 11-30-2007, 12:18 PM

James,

I think he means, if your only raising 98s+ then your range is to tight.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

lol? nice response. well thought out.

so you dispute that we have an equity edge in the CO with 89s versus 5 bad, loose live limpers? so you dispute that it's not worth buying the button for the extra sb pf? and possible get a free card on the flop?

i'm not sure because all i read was "lol".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a marginal raise.Personally, I think this style of play just isn't practical though for live players.
Live players should try to minimize their variance while not sacrificing significant edges.
That way, you can have a more steady income, and move up aggressively in limits. Even small increases in your hourly standard deviation have huge effects on your bankroll requirements. Personally, I like being able to play with 200bb and a 2% risk of ruin.

If you don't really care about that stuff, then raising can be fine, but there are also strategic drawbacks to it.

Namely, when you flop a medium strength hand (which is what you will flop most of the time), you will be in a lot of trouble for 2 reasons:

1. You will be unable to protect your hand
2. You will be tied onto the pot, forcing you to draw to what may easily end up being a 2nd or 3rd best hand

I'll admit that I don't have a method for quantifying the pros and cons of playing a larger pot in this situation with this hand versus these opponents.

Certainly, there is value to getting a free card on the flop, and buying the button, and I think your equity should be fine so it is a play that should be considered at least some of the time.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Do the two [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s out there concern anyone? How many clean BD outs are we looking at here on the flop?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM

My two cents:

Just limp pf, like everyone says. But raising can't be terrible. I agree that once the BB accidentally pops you, you really should have just capped it. I mean, you said you wanted to loosen up your imagine right? Well capping with 68s and creating the biggest pot the table's seen in 3 hours will do that. Capping it will likely get you a free turn (which you ended up paying for anyway) and, unless I'm missing something, the only thing raising before could accomplish that raising now can't is buying the button. If you thought you hand faired well enough against the field to raise, then you should conclude it fairs well enough against the field and an accidental raise to cap.

On the flop....getting 29 to 1...I think you can take one off. The pot is huge. How bad can it be, really? Calling costs at most 1 bet....

On the turn...call obviously. You have real outs now!!!

On the river...I can't possibly see a fold with a pair here. You have to be good 5% of the time. Not to mention you'll obviously monkey-tilt if you fold and he tables a missed draw.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the two [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s out there concern anyone? How many clean BD outs are we looking at here on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like 1.5-2. The running spades are clean unless he gets toileted, and he could hit a straight without the diamonds showing up.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Well in that case, peel the grape.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:46 PM

Just call preflop. 68s is a highly speculative hand and you want to play it as cheaply as possible every time.

I'm not sold on the call on the flop. We're getting great pot odds, but we have maybe 2 outs at best? Not only that, but we may run into a bigger spade flush if we get there and our bd straight outs could complete the diamond flush. I think the board is has enough draws that we're not getting much value from chasing.

As played the turn is an obvious call and I would probably call the river too due to the pot size. In my experience though, a BB donk bet on the flop is almost always a strong hand - Like KT in this case.