Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 11-27-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Correct way to play aces?

Live 3/6 game, table is loose, but preflop and postflop play is decent.

6 limpers, sb completes, I pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I raise, all call.

Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, at least 5 call.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, one call, MP1 raises, two calls, I call, 4 to the river.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked around. MP1 shows 10q offsuit and takes the pot.

Opinions on all streets appreciated. How stubbornly should I call to the river with aces/overpairs?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Correct way to play aces?

Disclaimer: I'm not very experienced, but am actively learning, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

I don't think that I'd do anything differently. At 3/6, that turn raise would be a call for me, and I'd c/c the river. You saved a bet when he didn't bet the river, which I would still have called one bet if I was closing the action.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:05 PM

In pots of this size, I'd say pretty stubbornly, depending on the situation.

PF = good
Flop = good. you can't protect this hand, so bet for value.
Turn = good. you gotta bet, and you can't fold for 1 more bet back to you.
River = good. you can't bet, but you might want to call one bet, depending on who makes it and if anybody has called it.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 PM

That is more or less the way you should play AA.

From the BB you can’t really knock anyone out by raising, but with 7 opponents already into the pot, you want to raise for value. Against this many opponents you will probably win the pot 35-40% of the time, but you are getting 7:1 odds on the raise, so you should to raise every time.

Flop: obvious straight and flush draws possible. You have to bet at the flop. You don’t want to give everyone a free card to draw out on you.

Turn: you have to keep betting to charge the draws. When you are raised, you have to call one. An aggressive player here could think you are on unimproved AK and be raising with just one pair.

River: I would check and call one bet. Most of the time you are beat by 2 pair or better, but this is a big pot and you only need to win once in twenty times or so to justify a call.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:33 PM

I hate to be brief since this is one of your first posts, but you played this hand very well.

Not raising PF or betting the flop is absurd (which I'm sure you know.)

Bet the turn and call the raise. Depending on the game, I might not overcall the river, but if it goes bet, donkey call, and I could call closing the action, I probably would, but it would depend on the callers for me to overcall there.

Be stubborn in big pots. The thing about poker is, there's rarely a "right" play. We all know to fold 72o PF and raise aces, but after that, more often than not, the answer is usually "it depends."

But again, you played this well, and welcome to the forums!
Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Live 3/6 game, table is loose, but preflop and postflop play is decent.

6 limpers, sb completes, I pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I raise, all call.

Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, at least 5 call.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, one call, MP1 raises, two calls, I call, 4 to the river.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked around. MP1 shows 10q offsuit and takes the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You play like a god. On that board, very stubborn. I think we can overcall liberally here. The texture is such that most of the weak callers we're playing against are going to have one pair hands.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 AM

i think the more important lesson here is to learn how MP1 mangled his hand on every street.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the more important lesson here is to learn how MP1 mangled his hand on every street.

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent observation. Wouldn't it have been poetic justice for him if utg had tabled Js5s? Can you even count the times you have seen small stakes live players turn over cards like that, then have MP1 berate their play?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 AM

I'm new too, and also actively learning. This is what happened to me all weekend, causing me to dwindle away - when I even got playable cards at all. I think I'd play the hand exactly the same though.

Is a re-raise on the turn plausible? It might knock out the two after MP1, and cause MP1 to fear a check raise on the river?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm new too, and also actively learning. This is what happened to me all weekend, causing me to dwindle away - when I even got playable cards at all. I think I'd play the hand exactly the same though.

Is a re-raise on the turn plausible? It might knock out the two after MP1, and cause MP1 to fear a check raise on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure it's plausible, but silly here. Two players have already called two and the pot's big. If you re-raise, MP1 will either cap and both players will call or he'll call and both players will call. You have a chance to showdown for one bet. Take it.