Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-22-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Stud8 - capping made 87 low against drawing hands

Since I haven't able to win at a limit table for a few weeks I am questioning some fundamental plays. Running bad and playing bad, I guess.

Is there any mistake in my thinking when I am capping 6th? I am favorite to win the LOW pot only, but the other guys can easily outdraw me ... so maybe I am not putting my money in good?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0,50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (9.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (6.67 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (14.67 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

River - (30.67 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises

Total pot: (39.67 BB - $238)
Old 11-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Stud8 - capping made 87 low against drawing hands

I think you played this one right. Definitely jam fifth and sixth with your board lock. On the river, there's a pretty good chance that you're beaten, but you were clever enough to make the pot too big to think about folding. The raiser didn't cap, so I'm guessing he made an under-full, rather than a low, which would be good news.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am favorite to win the LOW pot only, but the other guys can easily outdraw me ... so maybe I am not putting my money in good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes indeed, you are a favorite to win the low half, and yes indeed the other guys can outdraw you. That is precisely why you must pound them hard every time this situation comes up ... so that they either know they will fold, knowing they risk getting jammed with their half-pot draws or they pay too damn much to draw at their few-outers.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:14 AM

I like your line. The goal is to get the other players to put in as much "bad" money as they can. If they're willing to call many bets all the way down drawing to a low or to a bad high then let them. You managed to do exactly that in this hand. You played it fine. It seems seat 1 may have made a better low or possibly an underfull on the river like the poster above said. The pot is too big to fold now.