Old 11-20-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Liberty Dollar office raided

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would just like to say that all those who participated in this raid are doing their job, and they deserve . . . their paychecks in federal reserve notes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it.

The agents were doing their jobs. When you're in law enforcement, and a search warrant lands on your desk, you have two choices; serve it or lose your job because of insubordination.

I'm guessing if you went through everything these men and women went through to obtain positions as federal agents, you'd choose the former.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like the Nazi's, the Third Reich, the doctors skinning live babiest to experiment and whatnot, making lampshades out of human skin, or the people marching hunrdreds into gas chambers telling them it was to take a shower, etc, etc.

It was their job and they deserved to get paid for it by the government that they were legitimately emplloyed by, do I understand your arugument correctly. How dare anyone question any of the actions of people who did any of the above. THEY WERE DOING THEIR JOB AND DESERVED TO GET PAID!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Drawing moral equivalence between death camp guards and raiding an illegal enterprise is too absurd for you even. at least i thought it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay, another one.

So I take it from this that your position is that there are ZERO comparisons to be drawn between these agents and Nazi soldiers? Well, thats obviously absurd. They were both human beings. MANY comparisons can be made. Sorry if that offends your lazy, narrow perception.

Do you agree or disagree with the idea that it is acceptable to do things you think are wrong as long as it is "your job?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even know what moral equivalence refers to? The answer to your stupid question is that IT DEPENDS. When your job is killing innocent people NO, when your job is enforcing a law without injuring anyone, YES.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE and it has nothing to do with "analogies"
Old 11-20-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Drawing moral equivalence between death camp guards and raiding an illegal enterprise is too absurd for you even. at least i thought it was."
Your error is that no one's claiming moral equivalence. THEY ARE THE SAME IN THAT BOTH GROUPS EXCUSE WAS "I'M JUST DOING MY JOB". The excuse cannot logically be valid for some but not others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it can, that is the precise point of avoiding moral equivalencies between the reprehensible and the day to day.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Drawing moral equivalence between death camp guards and raiding an illegal enterprise is too absurd for you even. at least i thought it was."
Your error is that no one's claiming moral equivalence. THEY ARE THE SAME IN THAT BOTH GROUPS EXCUSE WAS "I'M JUST DOING MY JOB". The excuse cannot logically be valid for some but not others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it can, that is the precise point of avoiding moral equivalencies between the reprehensible and the day to day.

[/ QUOTE ]

No then you have an moral reason outside of "just doing my job" It's a matter of if the action itself is good or evil not if it's someone's job or not. That's exactly the point of the freaking analogy!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:15 PM

When you guys wrap up this little AC circle jerk, I'll try to squeeze in some more posts related to the laws of the United States of America.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then the excuse is that the ends justify the means, not "just doing my job".

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes that's a perfectly good justification. Any morality which fails to take consequences into account seems crazy.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but say that, not "ZOMG YOU'RE EXCUSE IS NO DIFFERENT THAN HITLER!!!" That's both wrong and very, very rude.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to be rude or slime anyone by associating an action with Hitler (or a hitman, which was the example I used). My point was just to point out the faulty logic that the "Just doing my job" argument employs by using an anology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, and I agree that it's worth pointing that "just doing my job" is a dubious rationale for committing immoral acts. Sometimes, however, the circumstances involved in being a subordinate who merely carries out orders do make "JDMJ" a reasonable explanation (such as if the order's morality is merely in doubt, or if it's judged to be a very minor sin).

I think it is a good excuse in this case. Others can reasonably disagree, but the thing about the Nazi analogy is this: just because an excuse can and has been used in a terrible, stupid way doesn't mean it can never be a valid justification.

Given that, comparing people to Nazis is a pointless red herring: yes, the excuse has been abused in the past, but no, that doesn't tell us anything about whether it's being abused right now. It just raises tempers.

[/ QUOTE ]

And there were some former Nazi's or whatever that blew their heads off later in life when they reflected upon the atrocitiest they had committed.

Likewise, there will be occasionally a cop who does the same. I predict in decades to come that number will increase as this country evolves more and more into a police state.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I predict in decades to come that number will increase as this country evolves more and more into a police state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vote Ron Paul in 2008!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And there were some former Nazi's or whatever that blew their heads off later in life when they reflected upon the atrocitiest they had committed.

Likewise, there will be occasionally a cop who does the same. I predict in decades to come that number will increase as this country evolves more and more into a police state.

[/ QUOTE ]

My cat's breath smells like cat food.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhWRDP8v9ss

Ron Paul's thoughts on the matter